Blasts from the past: Christmas classics

**Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers**

Is there anything more perfect come Christmas time than the classic story of man, dog and their cat-and-mouse game with a criminal penguin? While all four of Wallace and his long suffering dog’s television outings are rightfully the subject of national adulation, it is The Wrong Trousers that stands out as the strongest of the three. It has by far the most involving plot (who amongst us doesn’t come down with a little something in our eye when Gromit packs his handkerchief and runs away) and some of the best incidental sight gags that make the series so endlessly re-watchable. Furthermore, the stories contain some quintessence of the British, as we can see ourselves in both Peter Sallis’ Wallace, and also in the series’ execution. Like Wallace’s own creations, the films have the look of something hand built by an eccentric inventor, and, as they say, it is the gifts handmade for us that we value most at Christmas. I won’t be missing it, and neither should you.

** Vicar of Dibley**

Who didn’t shed a tear when Dawn French finally left our screens as the loveable Vicar of Dibley in 2006? The hugely popular Vicar had been on our television screens for thirteen years and it was sad to see her go.

It was the double-episode Christmas special that saw the Vicar wave goodbye to us; however, they remain the best two episodes. We finally see Geraldine (Dawn French) meet the man of her dreams – the gorgeous Harry Kennedy (played by the equally gorgeous Richard Armitage who managed to pause fighting Robin Hood over on BBC 1 to sweep Geraldine off her feet). Of course, with a story line as sweet as this, there are bound to be mountains of comic problems along the way. Incidents include stalking Harry, jumping into an enormous muddy puddle and allowing Alice to be in charge of the wedding – cue Dalek bridesmaids. This is certainly one of the best and happiest things I have ever watched at Christmas. I think it should be mandatory that everybody watches it.

**Gavin & Stacey**

There may not be a new Gavin & Stacey Christmas special this year, but in my household it will still be on our screens. It is a tradition that after a few beverages of the alcoholic variety, we will sit down and watch Gavin & Stacey, wincing every time Doris makes a lewd, foul-mouthed comment whilst my Nan is watching. Still, the programme really encapsulates what’s so good about Christmas and the holidays: family, alcohol, English-Welsh banter and enough food to satisfy Smithy. Some describe Gavin & Stacey as a cult comedy, but in fact it really has something for everyone. For me, what makes this show so good is the Welsh side of the show. For days afterwards, I will be attracting the attention of friends and family with, “Oh! What’s occurring sugar-tits?” and requesting an insane amount of omelettes. In short, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Gavin & Stacey, and whilst it’s disappointing that there isn’t a new one this year, it would be heresy to replace it.