iWarwick: new app launched

Warwick’s IT Services department has introduced a ‘Start.Warwick’ application for iPhone, iTouch, iPad and Android users. This app will focus on providing information to students and others about bus times, driving directions, opening times, a map of campus, contact numbers, staff details, news and events. The app has been provided free of cost, and can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Android Market.

The app allows the user to create a personalised page that provides easy access to essential information. The app isn’t as comprehensive and detailed as the online version, but IT Services say, “Further releases will add additional functionality for internal users to tie into their Start.Warwick profile.”

The app targets internal members and those external to the University (prospective students, parents etc.) However, second-year Politics & International Studies student Simar Rana feels that the audience is being limited due to technological challenges – “The ITS department should look to introduce the app on all phones, not just apple and android products.”

The app has gone down well with some freshers, with first-year History student, Farah Bandukwalla claiming, “For people new to Warwick, the campus can be quite a maze. The app solves that problem by telling me exactly where my classes are.”

In spite of ITS’ promises on future improvisations, some students feel that the app is too basic and should provide more department specific information about lectures and seminars.