Warwick Hub huge hit with humanitarian students

A new forum for ethical and campaigning societies has amassed over 2,500 sign-ups, making it the third most successful Student Hub in the country.

Overtaking the much more established Cambridge, Southampton and Oxford Brookes Hubs, Warwick Hub acts as a “focal point on campus to engage students in ethical and charitable activity.”

The student-run organisation, launched at the beginning of this term, has expanded to support the activities of eleven Students’ Union (SU) societies, as well as numerous individual projects.

The Hub distributes a weekly e-mail named “The Week”, which details all the meetings and events of these member groups, providing a level of free, direct publicity that societies have traditionally struggled to attain.

According to the Coordinator, Jonny Sherwood, since the launch of Warwick Hub there has been “a significant increase in attendance to events of an ethical or charitable nature.”

Sherwood mentioned Warwick Amnesty’s talk last Monday, which had well over sixty students in attendance.

The talk, by Hannah Elisi, the Egyptian political activist, was listed near the top of Warwick Hub’s weekly e-mail, and Sherwood argued that “the success of that event pays testament to how powerful our mailing list can be… we can provide societies with free, far-reaching publicity and can help spread the word about campaigns and issues across campus.”

Francis Wight, responsible for member support for the Hub, mentioned Warwick People & Planet’s screening of Just Do It. “The film was screened at the same time at eighty locations in universities across the country. After publicity from the Hub, the screening in Warwick Arts Centre came second in terms of attendance, behind only Oxford.”

As well as publicity for societies, the Hub intends to provide opportunities for members to get involved in charitable activities, and will provide support for campaigning and charitable projects. Student Hubs, the national umbrella organisation for Warwick Hub, also provides “ethical internships” with various charities and campaigning groups.