Unicef society holds sponsored 24hr fast

Last week the Unicef society hosted Mission 24, an annual 24-hour sponsored fasting event that raises awareness and funds to counter the ongoing food crisis in East Africa. The event involved workshops held by the New Internationalist magazine, and discussions that touch on critical issues such as child services.

There were also ice-breaking activities, movie screenings, a private performance from Warwick dance society Eqho – and a meal at the end of the fast. Mission 24 was met with record-breaking success as compared to its previous years. This year there were a hundred students participating in the fast and £2,000 was raised.

The fasting event first started in 2009 when the Unicef society took the initiative to fundraise and support a Unicef cause. The event was met with critical success that spawned its continuation in later years. There were collaborations with the other Unicef societies from the Sheffield and Birmingham universities, as well as with the global organisation itself.

The cause changes each year, but the 2011 event focuses on the East African food crisis, where the long periods of droughts have caused a poor harvest. Although the crisis is no longer addressed by mainstream media, the food crisis still has a wrathful effect on the victims of the famine. Political conflicts and economic problems have also worsened the food shortage, particularly in Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia. As noted by Unicef society member Neelam Bhusal, a second-year Economics student, the famine creates a ‘poverty trap,’ where, without nutrition, it is difficult for the victims of the famine to secure employment and meet the soaring food prices.

Many students are enthusiastic about the event and its cause. Pui Yin Seng, a third-year Psychology student, believes that “the cause of the event is a poignant reminder of one of the perennial injustices occurring. It should be a basic human right to have access to food and whether I raise £5 or £100, my personal goal is to contribute to raising awareness for this issue.”

Donations are still ongoing until the 1st December 2011 on http://www.justgiving.com/teams/Mission24