Moving to New York?

Warwick has joined a consortium of global universities and industry leaders in a bid to build a new campus in New York City.

Also involved are New York University, University of Toronto, City University of New York, the Indian Institute of Technology Mumbai, and companies such as IBM, Cisco and Siemens.

NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg expressed a keen desire to create a science campus to transform New York from a financial hub into a research and technological base.

The campus will be called the ‘Centre for Urban Science and Progress’ and be based in downtown Brooklyn. It will focus on developing sustainable solutions, specifically related to energy efficiency, pollution reduction, enhanced safety, and a better quality of life.

Warwick’s VC Nigel Thrift said, “The aims of the Center are closely aligned with our research” which will “provide new opportunities for the West Midlands economy.”

An analysis by the New York City Development Corporation has claimed that the campus will help generate 30,000 jobs for New Yorkers and add approximately $1.2 billion in taxes to the US economy.

Second-year Engineering student, Prachi Gupta, feels that Warwick should “focus on student welfare and comfort instead of investing in another country”.

A second-year engineer commented: “A New York city education could improve employability prospects and practical experience.”