Mens’ Rugby end Loughborough hoodoo

Warwick Men’s Rugby enjoyed a historic week, achieving an unprecedented victory over rivals Loughborough. On Wednesday 2nd November, the Warwick first team faced the daunting task of attempting to end their hoodoo, and produced a heroic performance to beat the Loughborough third team 12-10. Warwick feared the worst as the day got off to a horrific start, with Loughborough opening the scoring inside thirty seconds.

But Warwick managed to regroup and were soon pressing the opposition, with the forwards imposing themselves on their Loughborough counterparts and the backs providing a lingering threat. Following a period of concerted pressure, the ball made its way along the back line to prop Chris Castelino, who stepped past over the try line to bring Warwick level, before Dom Rey’s conversion took them into the lead.

Once in front, the team continued to press. A promising back-line move was halted when Mike Arrowsmith knocked on five metres from the line, and the chance to extend the lead seemed lost. But an impressive push from the Warwick scrum turned the ball over, and scrum-half Piers Nickolds pounced on the loose ball to score. On the back of this try, Warwick went into half time with a deserved and hard-fought 12-5 lead.

The second half saw Loughborough launch multiple waves of attack, forcing Warwick into a spirited defence. The team performed heroically, making tackle after tackle to repel their opponents, and putting their bodies on the line for the team. The most remarkable performance came from Dom Rey who, despite appearing to be knocked out at one stage, recovered to play on.

However, Warwick could not withstand Loughborough’s resolute efforts for long, and pressure eventually paid off with them crossing for a second try. A missed conversion reignited Warwick’s belief, as it became apparent that victory was a very real possibility. Recognising the game was in the balance, Warwick moved back onto the offensive, and an interception by Louis Cottell offered the opportunity for a game sealing score. Unfortunately, Cottell ignored the presence of speedster Nick Green and, in attempting to go it alone, was halted by Loughborough’s solid rearguard. This failure led to a frantic finish, with Warwick redoubling their efforts to protect the lead.

Increasingly frenetic defensive play led to a succession of penalties being conceded, allowing Loughborough vital possession as they probed for a match-winning try. As the game entered the last play, Loughborough were still in possession as they forced their way past the Warwick twenty- two metre line.

To the despair of Warwick’s players, the referee awarded Loughborough yet another penalty, and the game seemed lost. Incredibly, Loughborough chose to run the ball, rather than kicking the goal that would have sealed victory, and eventually Warwick were able to turn the ball over. Captain Conor Hatton proudly secured a historic victory, booting the ball from the field of play and sparking triumphant celebrations.

Meanwhile, the second team continued their unbeaten start to the season. Brimming with confidence from their astounding 90-0 victory over Coventry the previous week, seeing off the Birmingham second team with a solid display, running out 51-21 victors, with Josh Dowling-Kennedy starring once again, running in four tries. Sadly, the Warwick third team were unable to match their counterparts, as they went down 29-12 to a well-drilled Aston first team.