Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

It’s the dawn of October 1st 2011, and rapidly approaching 13 years since the auspicious release of “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time” on the N64. Its inception during the 64-bit era inspired a veritable paradigm shift within the genre, instigated in part by the introduction of a slew of innovative control mechanics (chief among them the target-lock system and context-sensitive buttons) that have since developed into medium tropes.

Link’s tunic-clad romp through Hyrule, was, by all accounts, an irrefutable masterpiece; an exquisitely crafted composition that roused and chimed (quite literally) at all the right places, under the virtuosic conduction of Eiji Aonuma. To pinpoint exactly why its dimiutitive protagonist struck such a chord with a generation of gamers is a futile endeavor – after all, the game undoubtedly excelled in all the fundamental game criteria (art direction, gameplay mechanics, sounds effects etc), yet it was not the mastering of these core principles that ultimately shaped your own experience, but the underlying nuanced subtleties of game design.

The charming hustle and bustle of Castle Town immediately springs to mind, with its vivacious denizens painting a hauntingly incongruous picture of harmony; or perhaps the masterful plot-driven transition from the quaint surroundings of Kokiri Forest to the gloriously vast Hyrule Field; or, lest we forget, that instantly gratifying and recognizable jingle, triggered upon heaving open an enticing treasure chest. Arguably, these glistening nuggets of gaming gold were instrumental in cementing the game’s status as a universally revered, industry standard-setter (notably, it sits atop both “Gamerankings” and “Metacritics” all time aggregate high-score lists – an accolade I’m sure most gaming aficionados would struggle to find fault with). On a personal note, they were the chief architects behind the greatest affirmation of my passion for videogames to date.

The launch of the Nintendo 3DS seemed to serve as a perfect opportunity to produce an “Ocarina of Time” remake – a notion mirrored by “The Legend of Zelda” creator Shigeru Miyamoto, who expressed his desire for players to experience the “majestic scenery of Hyrule in stereoscopic 3D” and to provide the sense of “really being there”. This dichotomic marriage – between the archaic assets and newfangled technology – appears to be a cunning ruse through which new vitality can be breathed into a dormant giant. It just remains to be observed whether these novel augmentations (3D gyroscopes, accelerometers, touch-screens) refine an already polished experience, or contribute to a overriding detrimental sense of dissonance.

The responsibility of development was understandably bestowed upon one of Nintendo’s smaller inexperienced in-house subsidiaries (Grezzo; headed up by Koichi Ishii, of “Secret of Mana” fame), allowing the more experienced studios (EAD, Retro Studios e.t.c) the freedom to continue development on Nintendo’s non-derivative flagship titles (“Mario Kart 7”, “Super Mario Land 3D”) . This is not to suggest that we are dealing with a lazy ROM port of the same ilk as the “Sega Megadrive Collection” debacle. No, this a genuinely brilliant reimagining of the original, suffused throughout with that elusive Nintendo magic.

Hyrule looks sumptuously spectacular. From the provincial confines of Kakariko Village to the menacingly austere spires of Death Mountain, everything is beautifully rendered, sharpened and lavishly lacquered with vibrant splashes of greens and blues. It also runs at a noticeably smoother frame rate (30fps as opposed to 20fps on the N64 version) which is a very welcome touch – the original feels sluggish now in comparison.

The much vaunted addition of 3D functionality imparts extra character on to the locales and inhabitants of Hyrule. Navi soars, ducks and dives towards the screen; leaves flutter and sweep across your peripheral vision. However, you may find that like me you eschew this feature at certain points (namely during tricky puzzle sections) to permit full concentration – but that’s the beauty of the 3D slider and its ability to adjust to your preferences on the fly.

When all is said and done, it’s still the same game we played all those years ago (if you’re an “Ocarina of Time” virgin I truly envy you) with a smattering of neat features and an extra dimension; but what a game it is. The fact that it has aged so well, that it still feels so fresh and brim full of vigor, is truly testament to its inimitable nature. Saying this, I do have one gripe with the game: my “Legend of Zelda” nostalgia thirst is no longer sated; I’m left yearning for a Majora’s Mask remake. Make it happen Nintendo!