Warwick Media Library

Lecturers boycott review

Many lecturers will not be taking part in the University Teaching and Learning Review in protest against extra work and pension reforms.

The review was set up in July to assess the quality of teaching at Warwick, replacing previous departmental reviews. However, many lecturers are not taking part due to the work-to-rule policy in which the Warwick University and College Union (UCU) is engaged.

Participation in the review is a voluntary addition and therefore, as part of the work-to-rule (which means academic staff will only work in contracted hours and carry out contracted duties), many will not be participating.

Anne-Marie Greene from Warwick UCU described the work-to-rule as a “last resort”.

She said, “The aim of the industrial action is to persuade the employers back to the negotiating table for meaningful negotiations. The work-to-contract action will continue and further phases of the industrial action may ensue for as long as these negotiations are not resolved.”

Warwick UCU members are objecting to the unilateral addition by the University to their ordinary workload and the threatening and bullying manner in which some Warwick staff have been treated for doing no more than respecting legally balloted industrial action.”

Third-year History and Politics student Owen Walker thinks lecturers should be taking part: “While I can understand not wanting to take on extra work, I think that it’s ridiculous the lecturers are able to dodge a review of their performance.”

Second-year Physics student Josh Madge, said, “Considering fees are increasing to £9,000 next year, lecturers should be more accountable and take part in this review.”

Andrew Burchell, second-year History and French student, supports the lecturers: “We should really be supporting University staff. The last thing they probably need is more tedious and unnecessary reviews which will inevitably raise the same issues that no one ever seems to deal with.”

Warwick SU supports the industrial action so long as it does not impact students directly.