Warwick students get their mental ‘five a day’

A ‘Mental Health Bus’ spent last Monday, 10 October on campus, providing information, advice
and support to Warwick students as part of World Mental Health Day.

Staff from charity MIND were on board, offering health checks and the opportunity for students to talk through how they felt. The Time To Change Campaign and Warwick Student Support provided posters and resources for students to take away, and mental health advisors gave out ‘Mindapples’, on which students were encouraged to write down their ‘five a day’ – five things
they could do each day to look after their mental health.

Other events to mark World Mental Health Day were held around the UK, including a number in Leamington, all focused on starting conversations about mental health and tackling discrimination against those who suffer from mental health problems. According to the Mental Health Foundation, 1 in 4 people will be affected by mental ill health every year – most commonly anxiety and depression.

Welfare Officer Izzy John stressed the importance of erasing the stigma which surrounds poor mental health and ensuring that all Warwick students know they can access non-judgmental and confidential support when they need it.

“Every student is different and needs different levels of support,” John said. The waiting list for counselling is three weeks long, but they also provide email counselling and workshops which might work better for some people. Students are also always welcome to come and sit in my office (I have beanbags!)”

All Warwick students can access support on campus from Student Support Services, the Student Advice Centre and Nightline, or from local organisations in Coventry or Leamington. For more information or advice visit go.warwick.ac.uk/supportservices or contact Izzy John at welfare@warwicksu.com.