Warwick Computer science has 100 per cent graduate employment

Figures recently published by Unistats, the official university figures website, showed that Warwick’s Computer Science graduates were all in employment within six months of graduation.

The University’s Computer Science Department is ranked at the top end of the table in terms of graduate employability, along with four other leading universities. Data also shows that Warwick is targeted by graduate employers for graduate recruitment programs more than any other UK university except Cambridge.

The Computer Science Department compares favourably to some of Warwick’s other departments, however. English graduates from the University have an employment rate of 68 per cent and according to The Guardian the University has an overall score of 69 for ‘Career after six months’, ranking it as sixth on the newspaper’s university league table.

Seb Sidbury, a Computer Science graduate who is now a Technology Analyst at Aston Martin, praised the staff in the department and the flexible aspects of the Warwick course. “The skills gained from my Computer Science degree helped me to stand out amongst hundreds of other applicants – I certainly couldn’t have got my dream job without it.”

James Beckenham, a graduate who now works for SFW Consulting as an Analyst Programmer, said that his decision to study Computer Science at Warwick as “fantastic.”

“As well as helping me to develop a range of skills that are really valued by my employer, the course also let me specialise in things that interested me and the staff were always ready and willing to help,” he said. “I’d recommend the degree and department to almost anyone with an interest in technology.”

A degree in Computer Science is recognised as a valuable way into the IT and telecoms industry, where there is a growing demand for employees. According to Prospects, the UK’s official graduate careers website, the IT and telecoms industry constitutes 1.52 million employees. The continued growth of the industry and its competitive salaries explain why employers are reaching out to so many graduates from top universities as well as the sector’s popularity amongst graduates.

Initial graduate roles range from IT or telecoms management, systems development or design and IT consultancy. As well as this, Prospects highlights careers as IT operators or user support technicians as popular career choices for Computer Science graduates.

It is estimated that the IT and telecoms industry within the UK constitutes around 8.4% of the total UK economy, contributing £71 billion per year in Gross Value Added (GVA). On its website, Prospects reported that: “Information technology (IT) is at the centre of everyday life and can be found in almost all other industries. IT underpins many organisations and pastimes, from shopping to watching the television, and it is at the core of every business. IT will continue to be the key element that enables businesses to grow.”