Team of the week: Rugby defeat Coventry

The Men’s Rugby second team’s appetite for the start of the season was whetted by the publication of the fixtures list as the challenge of an opening game against perennial rivals – the Coventry first team – was presented. A tough test was expected, following the close nature of the first team’s Varsity game against the same opposition last year.

Any anxiety was soon allayed though, through an early Louis Emmerson try. From then on Warwick should have been able to control the game with ease, but a Quade Cooper-esque failure in defensive kicking by Dan Edwards kept the old enemy in the game in the first half. Twice Warwick took the lead and twice Edwards’ errors allowed Coventry to strike back. Edwards’ horror show was compounded by a litany of missed kicks at goal and meant despite near dominance the score at half time was just 17-13 to the Seconds.

In the second half a solid defence and more opportunism from Emmerson allowed the team to compensate the failings of their fly-half and pull away from their foe. Two unanswered second half tries meant the game ended in a 27-13 win for the second team. It was an ideal start to the season, which was duly rewarded with the title of Warwick Sport Team of the Week being bestowed upon captain Jamie Fenton’s team. With both of Coventry’s Rugby teams being in the same division as the second team, there is the real prospect of a season of prolonged success against the Poly.

Meanwhile, the fixture list also granted both the first and third teams tricky away ties to start the season. The first team was confronted with the long, unappealing trek to Harper Adam’s to face a team always powerful up-front, who, this year, were aided by a centre described by Captain Conor Hatton as ‘a thirty year old bald nutter’.

Despite these obstacles the team started positively, with an early try laying the basis for a half time lead. However, a disjointed second half led to the game being poised at 24-24 entering the last minute. Confident of scoring the vital match winning points, Warwick decided to run the ball from their own five metre line backing on the ability of super-sub George Irwin.

An incisive break from Irwin suggested the right call had been made but a turnover, blamed on the new stretchy shirts, lead to a sustained period of Harper pressure. This pressure created the opportunity for the home side to attempt a drop goal which much to the despair of Hatton’s side went over via post and bar. A score which ensured a 27-24 defeat for Warwick.

The third team re-visited the sight of their sole victory last season at Birmingham College. They secured victory, coming from behind to win 21-17; a result sealed by Phil ‘top try scorer’ Ackroyd’s late try. Ackroyd’s premature celebration did incur the ire of his normally placid captain James Applewhite.

The first week has provided welcome encouragement for the season ahead and hopes are high for continued success.

BUCS RESULTS 12th October 2011

Mens Badminton 1st 4-4 Birmingham 2nds

Warwick Mens Badminton 2nds 4- 4 Warwick Mens Badminton 3rds

Mens Rugby 1st 24-27 Harper Adams 1sts

Mens Rugby 2nds 27-13 Coventry 1sts (Team of the Week)

Mens Rugby 3rds 21-17 Birmingham College 1st