Rugby look to bounce back from last season’s disappointment

Rootes is welcoming its latest freshers, the parade in Leamington is full of pink buses again and Kelseys suddenly has a few more regulars. All these events signal the start of a new University year but as well as this they mean the new season for Men’s Rugby is about to begin. The club enters the season optimistic of repeating the success of two years ago rather than reliving the disappointments of last year.

The 2010-2011 season ended on a positive note with success in both Varsity matches, with the first team game being memorable for Captain and Number 8 George Milligan’s crossfield kick creating the try which sparked a match-winning comeback and ensured that the club’s proud unbeaten record in this key yearly fixture was maintained. Earlier in the day the seconds had cruised to their now annual rout of their Coventry counterparts, the highlights being the most accomplished kicking performance of the season at any level by Matthew Larkin and a two try salvo from Scott Peters.

The Varsity successes went some way to atoning for the disappointments of the regular BUCS season, where the first and third teams suffered relegation following their promotions the previous year. While both teams were rarely outclassed, they regularly suffered narrow defeats.

The first team were undermined by a string of injuries to key players and dubious refereeing decisions in away games, while the third team missed out on valuable early season victories due to the lack of a semi-consistent goal kicker. In the end, they were unable to secure their elusive first victory until the last day of the season.

Results-wise, the second team had far greater success achieving a commendable top three finish in a competitive league. However, this too was a disappointment as with a greater level of consistency and without the constant disruption caused by call ups to the first team, they could have realistically achieved promotion.

Alongside the Varsity successes, the disappointments of the BUCS season were minimised by notable success in other sporting formats. The most impressive of these was the trophy-winning achievements of the club’s Rugby League side. The side, led by Rugby League converts Mark and Mike Arrowsmith, saw off competition from many local BUCS rugby league sides to win the Rugby League Sevens competition organised by the University’s Rugby League side.

Added to the enjoyment gained by Varsity and success in the other sports, the club is confident this year of yet again being successful in the BUCS competitions. All three sides should be capable of mounting a promotion challenge – an idea which is supported by the emergence of many promising players as last season progressed.

This year’s captain Conor Hatton emerged as a powerful presence in the pack in the latter weeks of last season, while Mark Arrowsmith established himself as a fixture in the first team centre with a string of impressive late season performances.

To add to this, last season’s freshers improved en masse as the games pressed on, and the likes of Dom Rey, Nicholas Watson, Jack Whittet and Chris Castelino should benefit from the experience they gained at a higher level last season. Backing up these emerging players is a hard core of seasoned performers who were an integral part of the last promotion winning side: Mark Day, Nick Green, Chris Wombell and fit-again Ant Comyn should all have a role to play.

Despite the presence of these existing players the club is excited by the prospect of being able to integrate what is bound to be a talented group of fresh players into the teams. Everyone who wants to be part of the club and wishes to prove themselves as a player will be given a chance during Term One with new Freshers’ Rep Nick Watson having already organised a string of Saturday fixtures for the specialist fresh side. Last year many players who initially featured in this side used it as a spring board to become key members in the Two’s and Three’s sides in Term 2.

So if you want to be part of what promises to be an exciting season both on and off the field, please join the club Freshers’ page on Facebook or contact Freshers’ rep Nicholas Watson on the same format.