New shopping centre in Leamington

Provisional plans for a potential new shopping centre in Leamington Spa have received over 70 objections.

Clarendon Arcade would be built on the public car park in Chandos Street in North Leamington, only two streets away from the existing Royal Priors shopping centre.

The £25m scheme would bring 25 shops, a ‘major anchor store’ and 500 car parking spaces.

RedevelopmentLeamingtonWarwick District Council showed support for the plans after consultants said Leamington needed more shops in order to compete with nearby Solihull. The Council also claimed that many chains currently in Leamington would like to move into larger, newer premises.

The plan was first submitted in March 2010 and then amended in July 2011 to try and address locals’ concerns. However, when a consultation ended on 9 September 2011, 70 objections and no letters of support had been received.

On the other hand, second-year Classics student and Leamington resident Kathryn McPherson says she would welcome the new shopping centre: “I don’t think there are enough shops in Leamington. When I go shopping, I go to Solihull or the Bullring in Birmingham, not Leamington. Perhaps more shops would encourage me to shop in Leamington more often.”

Local businesses are however concerned about the plans. One owner of a local cafe in Royal Priors said they fear increased competition will reduce business: “Things are bad enough with the recession without more competition taking away our business.”

Conservation group the Leamington Society have suggested the state of the economy and household debt may lead to the arcade becoming a “white elephant”. Its chairman Richard Ashworth described it as “a gross overdevelopment relative to most neighbouring buildings.”

English Heritage and the Leamington Society chairman Archie Pitts said: “It will crowd right up against houses in Clarendon Avenue, overshadowing them and the old people’s home in Chandos Street.

“The number of car parking spaces will be trebled with the implication of more traffic even before you count the big lorries that will come into the town.”

Warwick and Leamington Green Party also stressed the environmental impact, saying increased car parking spaces would increase CO2 emissions.

They also pointed out that a recent survey showed 52 per cent of visitors said ‘nothing’ would make them shop in Leamington more often and 40 per cent said they did not want changes.

Leamington Town Council support development but argue the current plans are too large and would like to see an underground car park in order to limit its impact on the conservation area.

The district council is expected to debate the issue on 18 October.