Must See: My Last Car

My Last Car is the latest project from 509 Arts in collaboration with the Warwick Arts Centre and explores our relationship with the motor car through all its highs and lows. It looks set to be a brilliant piece of theatre, and here’s a preview of what to expect from the Arts Centre themselves:

Do you remember your first car? How about your last? What if your current car were your last? Climate change and oil depletion make this a real possibility as we approach the end of the road for car ownership. Is there a future for the internal combustion engine in the 21st century?

My Last Car explores our love affair with the motor car through human stories of near misses, breakdowns, green lights and giving way. Featuring commissioned video and a motor-soundscape, the star of this performance installation is a soft-top Rover 216 Cabriolet broken down in to its component parts leaving just the shell of a ‘ghost car’. Things of beauty that are rarely seen, the washers, cogs, pistons and curios are presented to the audience as if treasures from a bygone age.

What will the world look like without the automobile? … and where do we go from here?

My Last Car is both gallery installation – open most afternoons – and theatre event performed daily, it will take you on a telling journey of discovery, memory and love.

Sat 1 – Mon 3 Oct: 2-6pm
Tue 4 – Sat 8 Oct: Between performance times from 10.30am – 6pm