Love Through The Ages

“Our teeth are our legacy”: not a typical line one expects when being introduced to a play focusing on love and its many intricacies. However, this is exactly the way BAFTA winning writer Abi Morgan, introduces the audience to her brand new play “Lovesong”.

‘Frantic Assembly’ has decided to soften it’s usual tone and produce a beautiful tale focusing on a married couple at two different points in their marriage: when they are a newly married couple and when their marriage is coming to a sad end. The play is insightful, thoughtful and seems to steer clear of romantic clichés. The audience witness the twists and turns in their relationship at both young and old ages – it isn’t always joyous but one feels there is certainly a strong undercurrent of love between the two. Juxtaposing the two eras throughout the play is a unique way for the audience to truly become attached to the couple, to the extent that when betrayals occur or when one realises that Margaret is approaching her final days, the audience feel complete empathy with both of the characters. There was literally a chorus of sniffing – not simply a side effect of the first few weeks back at University – as the plays final moments were acted out on stage.

Scott Graham and Steven Hoggett directed the piece superbly: their choreography guaranteed that the pace of the play was consistent throughout and the juxtaposed eras were clearly distinguished and moved freely around one another. The actors performed ballet- like dances across the stage which were beautifully rhythmical and not only seemed to emphasise the differences in age between the couples, but also metaphorically demonstrated the haunting way in which time can unnoticeably speed up and flit away. There was also a very impressive lift from Siân Phillips which showed she clearly wasn’t as old as the character she was portraying.

With only a cast of four, the team demonstrated not only what a close-knit group they had clearly become but their brilliant individual talents. Siân Phillips, the well-known stage performer and BAFTA award-winning actress, was superb as the older Margaret. One truly sympathised with her character, seeing through just her slight movements the pain she was trying to conceal, and the dear love she held for her husband. Cast opposite her was Sam Cox, an extremely popular theatre actor but not so well known in the media. He brought such humour to the role of Bill that one could not help but love the character despite the fact his younger self appeared to distance himself from Margaret unfairly and be slightly dependent on alcohol. In this way the actors presented a different version of Billy and Margaret than the two younger actors but clearly demonstrate their deep companionship and love for each other. Edward Bennett and Leanne Rowe play the couple in their 20s, starting out their married years with youthful optimism and romance which with time has to face many obstacles; the couple are devastated they cannot have children, Margaret’s betrayal and Bill’s ability to come across as uncaring. However, their marriage is clearly a strong one because one cannot help but adore the elderly couple as they go about their daily lives trying to please one another. A particularly sweet moment is when older Bill smugly presents older Margaret with an iPod.

What makes this play so beautiful, for me, is Abi Morgan’s humble and gentle writing. She does not join the chain of “modern” playwrights whom try to break artistic boundaries or produce plays that are controversial and daring, but instead delivers a play which focuses on truth, companionship and love. The couple are so realistic and lifelike that one cannot help but empathise with them and feel as if they have travelled alongside the couple throughout their time together. One is gripped by the play, despite it not being a genre such as an action thriller or romantic drama but instead a charming depiction of day-to-day life.