Health warning issued: student MMR risk

A statement has been released by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) urging students to ensure they have been vaccinated against Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) and Meningitis C.

Warwick students in particular could be at a high risk due to Coventry city being home to both Warwick and Coventry University. Many young adults have not been immunised properly and now that thousands of students have returned to the area for the start of the new academic year, it has been stressed that vaccinations are more important than ever.

Nationally, the number of cases has increased dramatically. There were 777 confirmed cases of measles by the end of July, more than double the 374 reported during 2010.

This increase has especially affected young adults under 25, many of whom were not vaccinated. Many cases were found in universities. The HPA is therefore concerned about outbreaks on campus when students return to university, and are still conscious of the near epidemic of Warwickshire in 2008.

Dr Mary Ramsay, head of the HPA immunisation department, said: “Measles and meningitis are infections that can both be fatal; it is absolutely vital that all students ensure they are completely up to date with all their vaccinations.

“University bars and campuses where lots of students are in close proximity are an ideal place for bacteria and viruses to spread, which is why we may see more outbreaks.”

Measles is potentially serious, and on rare occasions even fatal. The disease is often spread through direct contact with those infected or coughs and sneezes.

Aware of the possible health risk to Warwick students, the Students’ Union has organised for meningitis symptom cards to be distributed through all on-campus student accommodations.

Izzy John, Students’ Union Welfare Officer, said: “When you move into halls in close proximity with a lot of people, you’re more likely to get sick and catch diseases, so the really important thing is that you check you’re up to date with your vaccinations.”

Those who were in full-time education within the UK in 2000 should have had the Meningitis C vaccine. However, there is no vaccination for Meningitis B. “The best thing you can do is learn the symptoms because it can kill very fast,” John added. “I’d say the most important thing you can do is carry those symptom cards with you and if you or any of your friends feel ill: check those cards.”

Third-year MORSE student Andrew Sheridan commented that he would not be getting the vaccination, despite warnings and having had mumps himself.

“I don’t really pay attention to all this,” he said. “I never got it because my mum and dad never organised it. This is the first I’m hearing of the warning. I’d never heard of MMR until I got mumps and I don’t know what rubella is.”

Information on MMR and vaccinations can be found in the health centre, and further advice can be found on the NHS website.