Drunken Words and Sober Thoughts

So with Freshers’ Fortnight safely behind us, and the reality of study beginnng to hit the first year students, I thought I could summarise the events of the first two weeks from a slightly different angle: this is from the viewpoint of guys, and their rather nostalgic drunken habits.

It is genuinely fascinating to discover all the humiliating things guys have done. Whoever invented ‘never have I ever’ was an utter genius. We gain an insight into the ‘lad-like’ side of guys; where they have ‘got with’ statues whilst on the annual drinking holiday, swum in their own vomit in the bath and, to the very extreme, been arrested.

Of course, watching them down a pint during a rowdy game of Ring of Fire certainly earns them some man points and a well-deserved pat on the back, but then the belches that follow afterwards to ‘breaking the seal’ are just ridiculous, and certainly hilarious to witness.
Then there is the trouble of trying to remember what actually happened the night before. What was the name of the girl he was chatting up and just how awful was the throwing up process?

Not to worry though, every man has a loyal friend who captures each and every moment of these embarrassing incidents, and posts them on Facebook for the entire world and his wife to reminisce with.

My favourite though has got to be playing a joke on that friend who did not remember what the girl looked like the previous night. So what is better than to tell him that she was clinically obese, with back rolls and a tub of ice-cream as her typical ‘booty call’. Oh, the guilt and embarrassment felt by him was priceless, particularly when thirteen other people were playing along with the joke too. This is still the story of the week… until the next embarrassing incident happens!

I’m sure there are plenty more humiliating episodes I could share, and equally many more that you have experienced yourselves, but I think I should stop here before I come across as a biased feminist. No doubt, the female student population has also had their fair share of regretful drunken occasions, with the evidence dominating Facebook homepages. Nevertheless, from what I have seen over the last couple of weeks, I truly believe that the male inhabitants deserve the lion’s share of this rant.