I’m With You – Track by Track Review

**Monarchy of Roses.**
‘I’m With You’ opens with Kiedis’ voice highly distorted in a manner that harks back to the days of ‘One Hot Minute’ with a song that repeatedly builds until bursting into a disco like chorus, that gets the album off to a lively if unexpected start.

**Factory of Faith.**
The album’s second track begins with a characteristically infectious bassline from the ever-creative Michael ‘Flea’ Balzary, with Kiedis reelings off line after line of carefully constructed nonsense in the same manner that he’s successfully done for years. New guitarist Josh Klinghoffer adds a mixture of funky and eerie guitar fills, yet the song feel’s almost restrained and the pop rock chorus and later bridge fail to live up the song’s undoubted funk potential.

**Brendan’s Death Song.**
With the third track, the Chili’s finally appear to be getting into their stride with a cleverly constructed song dedicated to the late auto biographer Brendan Mullen, who’d been working on an upcoming book charting the rollercoaster like evolution of the band over the years. The song’s success lies heavily down to the beautiful guitar melody from Klinghoffer, an array of crashing drum sequences from the brilliant Chad Smith and a genuinely heartfelt vocal from a vastly improved Kiedis. Following a rousing crescendo towards the end the song fades away softly, attempting to signify the way in which a life has ended.

**Ethiopia.**
Named following a particularly enlightening trip that Flea and Klinghoffer took to the east African country last year, Ethiopia is without a doubt one of the album’s strongest tracks, yet it also feels like one of the most familiar. This is the sort of funk rock that you imagine they can perform in their sleep now, yet this makes it no less enjoyable or impressive. The song is again driven by Flea’s funky bassline, with an offbeat guitar riff from Klinghoffer that creates an uneven yet enjoyable rhythm. A catchy chorus instructs us to ‘ tell my boy I love him so, tell him so he know’ and the only think lacking is perhaps a Frusciante- esque solo.

**Annie wants a baby.**
Said to be Kiedis’ favourite song on the record, Annie wants a baby is a song filled with funk and groove, with all band members providing great fills to help the song tick along smoothly, with another lovely melody from Klinghoffer as well as our first sample of his Frusciante-esque vocal ability.
Look Around
Look Around is fast and funky and short, traits you’d associate with the early day’s of the band’s existence. It feels like filler, yet isn’t long enough to cause too much offense.

**The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie**
The lead single of the album driven by another Flea special, a catchy song with a good rhythm, yet far from the strongest song in comparison to some of the album’s other tracks. Again it feels as in Klinghoffer is holding back, afraid to perhaps compete with people’s loving memories of what Frusciante brought to the band. Despite that the live performances of this song feature him in a far more confident vein, experimenting with tone and distortion as much as possible.

{{ quote The latest member of the Chili Peppers has revitalised the band with his own refreshing yet alternative musical influence.}}

**Did I let You Know**
Another strong song, this time lead by Chad Smith and Klinghoffer’s subtly funky guitar riff. This again features a good chorus with Klinghoffer displaying his sometimes female like vocals as well as a more confident performance on guitar, with a measured yet tonally interesting solo. The song also features Flea on jazz trumpet, which adds to the tracks infectious appeal.

**Goodbye Hooray**
For those fans who’ve been desperate for a tad more urgency and force behind recent Chili Pepper material, this ones for you. Goodbye Hooray is a song full of fast, funk rock, with Klinghoffer at his temperamental best, going heavy on the pedals to compliment flea’s rapid bass, Smith’s strong drums and Kiedis’ forceful vocals. A strong song that is even better live.

**Happiness Loves Company**
The most pop rock song on the record, featuring Flea’s attempt to fuse his piano skills into the music of the band. An enjoyable song, yet not one of the most interesting or groundbreaking pieces of music you’re likely to hear/expect from the Chili’s.

**Police Station**
Without a doubt my favourite track on the album, police station is a beautifully constructed song of subtle guitar and bass, reminiscent of ‘Don’t Forget me’ and the forgotten gem off ‘Stadium Arcadium’s’ – Jupiter, ‘Hey’ . Klinghoffer shines with another great vocal performance as well as a great guitar tone that evokes a real dark mood towards the end of the song.

**Even You Brutus**
In stark contrast with Police Station, Even You Brutus begins with Kiedis rapping in a manner that we haven’t seen for a while with a strong chorus and Klinghoffer with some of his best funk fills on the album. Along with his added vocals and a piano melody that runs beneath throughout the whole song, this is yet another strong , cleverly constructed song.

**Meet Me at The Corner**
A really exquisite moment that comes towards the end I’m with You, Meet me at the corner is song that displays the vast vocal improvement of Kiedis over the years as well as an extremely subtle melody provided by flea and a laid back Klinghoffer. The bridge adds another dimension to the song and demonstrates just what Josh brings to the band and hints at where his talents may take the Chili pepper’s musical direction.

**Dance, Dance, Dance**
The final song of the album is “light and jazzy” as Rick Rubin once called the Chili pepper’s jamming sessions. It might pail in comparison to the stronger parts of the album however, again is inoffensive and thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

If you rightly take into consideration the change in the band’s line up and the obvious effects this no doubt has on the members’ chemistry, I’m With You is a big success. Klinghoffer may still be finding his feet on the album, but the creativity and new energy he brings to the band promises to bring yet another exciting musical evolution for this ever evolving band.
Kiedis’ vocal abilities are at the best level they’ve ever been and though some may lament over the loss of the irreplaceable abilities of John Frusciante, the latest member of the Chili Peppers has revitalised the band with his own refreshing yet alternative musical influence.