Warwick Golf to participate in World Student Matchplay

On the 23rd June, whilst most students will be celebrating finishing their exams, four golfers from Warwick will be travelling to Germany to represent our university in the annual World Student Matchplay Championship at the Wittelsbacher Golf Club, Ingolstadt.

The competition proved fairly successful for Warwick Golf last year, with the team finishing in third place, the highest place by a men’s team from Europe, and the club hopes to build on past achievements this year.

The 2010/2011 season has been another exciting one for the golf team. Considering the majority of the universities Warwick have to face actually play golf as part of their degree, our golfers managed to pick up some valuable victories, and narrowly missed out on promotion to the elite Premier League by a single point after a two-leg play-off against Leeds.

Meanwhile, Warwick Golf will need to re-build in October as three valued members of the club will be leaving this year. John McNally, Nick Clayton and Aled Edwards have all had a significant impact on the club’s fortunes. It is hoped that new faces from the 2011/12 first-year intake can go some way to making the contribution which these players made during their time at Warwick.