US Open: McIlroy’s Masterclass

You needn’t be a golf fan to know that Jack Nicklaus has won more major championships than any other player. He achieved such a seemingly insurmountable feat, not by making a greater number of birdies, but through holing out for par more often and more consistently than any other individual has before or since.

Although it is always dangerous to draw any form of comparison between the Golden Bear and another golfer, after watching Rory McIlroy’s performance at Congressional Country Club last week, it’s justifiable on this occasion.

Across all four rounds the young Northern Irishman’s play encompassed style, poise, precision, skill, ingenuity, flair, swagger… you get the point. But these are all minor, tantalising details. In winning the 111th US Open, McIlroy’s play included that which all golfers – irrespective of age or ability – strive for: consistency. Like Nicklaus before him, McIlroy was successful because he was able to make par where the rest of the field were unable to. An achievement as much about momentum as mere statistics.

In 72 holes of golf McIlroy played only four holes over par. Had it not been for two bogeys on the back nine of his final round, McIlroy would have broken the record for fewest bogeys in a major. Of the other 68 holes he held out for par 48 times.

And once you take into account the nineteen birdies, in addition to an eagle on the 8th during the second round, it is easy to see why he was able to set the record for lowest tournament score ever posted in the US Open.

Indeed, such was McIlroy’s supremacy; Sunday afternoon became a prolonged lap of honour, nothing more than a formality. With his lead never in doubt the 22-year old was able to savour the moment, complimented by a highly appreciative crowd, and in doing so he became just the sixth man in U.S. Open history to lead the tournament wire-to-wire without finishing any round in a tie.

Contrast this with those scenes witnessed on the final Sunday of The Masters last April – McIlory’s meltdown final round of 80 after having led from the outset – and it is hard to believe that just a little over two months divides the lowest and highest points of his career thus far.

But then, as countryman Graeme McDowell commented, this was simply an accident waiting to happen. An accident which McIlroy owes to Nicklaus in more ways than one. Aside from the similarities in approach, McIlroy also had the benefit of having met Nicklaus two weeks ago, when competing in the American’s own tournament, The Memorial. It was the first time the two had met since McIlroy’s much-publicized back-nine meltdown at Augusta National, and he made sure to catch up withthe22-year-old.

“He said to me, ‘I’m expecting big things from you,’” McIlroy said. “It’s a nice pressure to have knowing that the greatest player ever thinks that you’re going to do pretty good.”

Nicklaus’ advice to McIlroy on how to put that ugly 80 at The Masters behind him was simple. Don’t even attempt to forget that the round happened. Instead, rather than banishing the memories, learn from it. Dissect the mistakes. Apply the lessons. Be stronger going forward.

Evidently McIlroy was able to take the advice on board. Take his play on the par-3 10th hole during the final round. Whereas, at Augusta, the 10th on Sunday had signaled the beginning of his collapse – who could forget his triple-bogey there – at Congressional it provided the opportunity for him to confirm his brilliance and rightful claim to the title.

Already well in command of the tournament, McIlroy could have just played for par and aimed toward the middle of the green. Instead, he took dead aim at the flagstick with a 6 iron. His ball hit the green and slowly spun back, the throaty crescendo of the crowd reaching frenzied levels. When the ball stopped mere inches from the cup, McIlroy turned to his caddie, J.P. Fitzgerald, with an expression of astonishment and slapped hands with him before making the walk down to the green.

It summed up his week, and with it arises the question: following his display of dominance on course to winning his first major, is McIlroy the player who signals the beginning of a new golfing generation, the player who will call time on the Woods-era? Who can say? Only time will tell.