Library fines for students totalled £128k last year

Late returns of books at the Warwick University Library allegedly totalled £128,000 last year.

According to the Coventry Times, a Freedom of Information request showed that the total money received for late book returns in the library increased by £21,000 from the academic year 2008/09 to total £128,032 in 2009/10.

With around 16,500 students enrolled at Warwick, that equates to an average of £7 per student.

The library increased the fines in October 2009 to encourage students to return items and because “they had remained the same for the previous ten years”, according to Warwick’s Head of Communications Peter Dunn.

Mr Dunn also said the fines were spent on new books and journals.

Third-year English student Anna Simmons, who has accumulated £6 worth of fines, understands why the figures are so high: “When I have exams or an essay my focus is on getting them done and so I often forget about renewing the books I’m using.”

However, third-year Maths student Richard McKenna always renews or returns his books in time: “I always bring my books back to avoid a fine. It’s not hard; you get a notification e-mail!”

The library’s standard charge for a late item is 20p per day, with three-day-loans at 30p per day and short loans at £1 per hour.

Students who reach fines of £10 forgo their right to renew, reserve or borrow books and the maximum fine per item is £35.