Fairy Tales News

Even Facebook has proclaimed the weekend to be worthy of a Disney animation. The Prince gets married. The bad guy gets killed. The sun is shining. There is undoubtedly a feel-good factor in the air.

While Americans celebrate Osama’s extermination at the hands of Obama’s administration, moralists have debated whether the final turn in this decade-long manhunt was conducted with the integrity that befits the American military. Impeccably, after invading both Iraq and Afghanistan, he is discovered in
Pakistan.

So leads the question of whether the Pakistani Government knew he was there. Really? If, during the height of the Second World War, Adolf himself set up camp in say, Luton, can we honestly believe the British Government wouldn’t have had the slightest inclination? And as for American tactics, his demise can hardly be considered a surprise. Whilst hide-and-seek rarely ends with a bullet in the head, many predicted that Bin Laden would not be met with handcuffs and a War Crimes Tribunal, paraded, humiliated, but still given a platform to spurt his own particular brand of hatred.

And now to the Royal Wedding. The marmite nuptials, love them or hate them, put a smile on a fair few faces; for those that hate, they could decry the monarchy and the waste of taxpayers’ money. For those that love a bit of romance, a young couple getting hitched is always a happy occasion, regardless of the fact two billion people were watching as this particular wedding ceremony featured our future king. However, as if to prove he truly is one of us, William clumsily fumbled the ring with all the elegance of a drunken brick-layer threading a needle. Magical. For the many single young women bemoaning the passing of the opportunity to marry a prince, they can console themselves with the knowledge Prince Harry is still single.

The sun is still shining, as if it too shares in the nation’s happiness. But there are a million possible clouds on the horizon, and it would be naïve to think the current buoyancy will last. Events in Libya have not gone away. There is a real possibility of an Al-Qaeda revenge attack, and the death of Bin Laden does not end the War on Terror. The British sunshine is about as enduring as an ice lolly in a microwave, and, for most students, exams are starting to prove a major distraction to an otherwise fruitful university life. But for now, let’s just enjoy the so-called feel-good factor and indulge in a smile.

{{ quote For the many single young women bemoaning the passing of the opportunity to marry a prince, they can console themselves with the knowledge Prince Harry is still single}}

For anyone who is still not smiling, try imagining Clegg’s face when he realises, despite the Liberal Democrats best efforts, in a recent survey, nearly forty percent of people quizzed thought AV referred to Premier League strugglers Aston Villa. Priceless.