A guide for graduates: What to do after university

Graduating may not sound as exciting as it should do, especially if you are one of the many soon-to-be graduates who has no idea what they are doing once they leave the comfort of campus. You might take some solace in the fact that most students are in the exact same position, and this number keeps rising.
Personal politics aside, it might seem like there is nothing out there, and therefore no point in trying. Whether this means living at home with the parents or staying on to do a masters’ degree, waiting for the job market to pick up in another decade or so, it definitely doesn’t sound like a particularly promising future.
However, the future is not necessarily bleak if you think outside the box a little bit. Whether you’re a fresher, finalist or postgraduate it’s never too early or too late to prepare for the future – or to reconsider your options completely. The second option might appeal most to those of you who are wondering what on earth you can do with your degree, or are simply not enjoying it. There is much more out there than you might think, and the truth is we are not really told about it.
If you missed the deadline for applying to impersonal graduate training schemes for a company you probably do not have any meaningful connection to, good news! This might actually be a blessing in disguise. If you have not already given it some thought or are a very eager fresher who wants to compile the ultimate CV by their final year, keep reading. Here is a list of ‘things you might not have thought of’ about finishing university, or, equally, for those of you who are lucky enough to have a few years left and have time to try out a variety of things.

**Get out of the country**
You do not have to be studying languages at university to enjoy the fabulous year abroad scheme. An increasing number of students are applying through Erasmus and other similar schemes to spend a year in abroad. Whether you want to go to France, America or even Japan, the possibilities are endless.
You may or may not have had much contact with the Careers Service, but they actually have a number of amazing exchange programmes that they seem to have forgotten to promote. I only discovered at the beginning of my third year, when it was too late to apply, that Warwick University actually has exchange programmes with the University of Tokyo and the Renmin University in China! I would readily give my right arm to study in either of those countries. The deadlines have closed for this year but it is worth keeping an eye out for when applications open again.
If you are graduating this year and the idea of studying abroad is still appealing, fear not! There are many masters programmes taught in English across Europe and the tuition fees are approximately 1,600 Euros. Before you say, ‘that’s pretty expensive’, bear in mind that a masters degree in England costs at least £4,500. There really is not much competition.

**Volunteer**
Good news for those of you who do not like getting your hands dirty: ‘volunteering’ does not just mean building houses and wallowing in the mud. Even better, you do not even have to fork out money for this one!
Quite simply, look around you. If you are living off campus, chances are that you live in either Coventry or Leamington Spa, and there are plenty of schemes to sink your teeth into. The local schools are always looking for volunteers and are happy for you to spare just two hours of the week to help out. If you are a humanities student who has less than six hours a week, here is a great opportunity to spend your time somewhere other than the library. If you love animals, there is an RSPCA and Cats Protection League near Coventry city centre. One of the positions available at both is ‘cat socialiser’. How can you not be tempted by that?
Alternatively, you can speak to Warwick Volunteers, who will have more information than any one student possibly ever could!

**Explore**
Not to be confused with the studying abroad option, as this one does not require any form of study at all! That is, if students abroad do actually study and are not distracted by the cuisine and beautiful foreign people…
Never underestimate the power of a good holiday. It can either be an amazing eye-opener, introduce you to what you might want to do in the future or, more likely, just be a crazy adventure. Can you say ‘Eurotrip’?
So, gather together some like-minded friends or just your reliable self and see if you can go somewhere. If you are graduating this year, it might be worth saving up for an ‘around the world’ ticket and spend a few months exploring until your heart’s content. Alternatively, a few weeks or even just a week abroad might be enough to satisfy you and your bank account.

**Teach English**
Admittedly, this is the third point that involves getting out of Britain, but there is a good reason for that. To put it simply, some of the most exciting things in life involve getting out of your comfort zone.
The good news is that you do not have to want to be a teacher for this one either. The only requirement is that you are fluent in English and want to get out and about. Not only will a TEFL qualification be something nice to add to your CV, it can also open lots of doors for you. The scheme varies but generally, you take an intensive weekend training course where you acquire the practical basics and are rewarded with a certificate. This alone, however, might not be enough to apply to teaching positions abroad, so you might have to take some online grammar and theory tests as well. With these skills, you can take your chances from Russia to Peru as an assistant language teacher. Whether you want to do it for a week or a year, there is something for everyone.

**Talk to people**
No, this does not mean asking someone in your family to give you some work experience with someone they know. Admittedly, this might be one of the more obvious and successful routes that students have taken, but that is not the only option.
If you have not already been to any of the careers events on campus, where speakers mill about at the end of the presentation, sign up for some. I actually know a few students who have successfully ‘networked’ and secured themselves a nice internship.
Personally, I have found that the most effective and rewarding method is to email everyone and anyone you might like to work for, tailoring your cover letter as appropriate. It really does pay off. I was working for a month last summer, will be working in Notting Hill over Easter and have a week in Manchester over this summer. Of course, these are all unpaid internships, but you will be lucky to find anything different at the moment. The good news is that you do not have to be out of pocket as a result. The careers service offers a work experience bursary and can reimburse you for travel and accommodation in some cases.

**Get creative**
Arguably the ultimate form of procrastination but, let’s be honest, you probably have the time on your hands. Imagine that you have already graduated, are living back home and your mum is nagging you to get a job. Sound familiar? Even if the job market is poor, you can set yourself your own tasks and goals with minimal expense.
If you feel your CV is lacking, work out where it needs improving and sort it out yourself. Whether this involves investing in some teach-yourself languages packs, enrolling in evening classes or going slightly further afield and asking a friend if they need anyone to work for them, most of these will not cost too much. The best part is that you will have fun and meet new people through doing it!
I feel it is worth mentioning that I am one of the many finalists who is currently set to leave university without a job. Whilst I have a few internships lined up, I missed out on a graduate training scheme because I failed a maths test. Unsurprisingly, I have since been told by a lot of people that I should have had someone else sit the test for me and then I would have been set for the next two years.
However, having had time to think about it, I think I will enjoy the next few years or so more than some of my friends who are contracted to work for a bank in London. No offence to those of you who have got something like this lined up, of course! Naturally, dissertations and seminars take priority in your final year but it is still possible to do something extra in between. It keeps you active, and, more importantly, prevents you from going insane from the monotony of work.
If you immediately thought ‘but I don’t know what I want to do with my future!’ or ‘but the competition is too stiff!’, then perhaps it is worth following at least one of these handy tips. You might be pleasantly surprised with what you discover as a result.

• thank you, it is indeed filled with motivation and truly handy tips. It has definitely helped me