Different Gear, Still Speeding

The latest installment in the _Oasis_ saga begins. In August 2009, the British superband collapsed with the exit of Noel Gallagher. Deciding not to keep the Oasis name and “start afresh”, the remaining members, including other Gallagher brother, and original _Oasis_ founder, Liam, decided to continue making music. Same style, different name, and they hope to be as successful as their previous platinum-selling group.

So how does _Beady Eye_, aka Oasis-minus-Noel, hold up? OK. That’s about it: Just OK. Sticking to rock music, which has been the prior band’s staple since the end of the Britpop era. _Beady Eye_ sounds pretty much like latter day Oasis, with a heavier influence from classic rock – in particular _the Rolling Stones_ and _the Beatles_ – and therein lies the fundamental problem with this album. It’s fine to listen to but it doesn’t tread new musical ground. There is nothing that convinces you that you are listening to a different band that is trying to break away from its origins enough to distinguish itself as a significant contender for your money. _Beady Eye’s_ debut album is devoid of originality or the uniqueness that would allow it to make a name for itself like _Oasis_ did 20 years ago. And that’s ignoring the fact that rock music is disappearing from the charts as popular taste has begun to move on.

The tracks on the album fall into two categories: heavier arena rock and soft, town hall friendly, rock. It is in the latter that the album shines, and provides solid radio-fodder. ‘The Roller’ is a catchy little tune that sticks out significantly with its melody, its only flaw is that you’ll think it’s an _Oasis_ track from the late 1990s. Another fine tune is ‘For Anyone’, which is a nice soft rock piece that spookily echoes _the Beatles_, and brings a smile to your face in its cheery uplifting tone. The same can also be said for the little tune called ‘Wigwam’. Meanwhile the heavier tracks grate a bit in their tediousness and bleeding lack of originality. Keen examples include opening tracks ‘Four Letter Word’ and ‘Millionaire’, however the biggest offender, ‘Standing on the Edge of the Noise’, is particularly off-putting in providing the harshest example of Liam’s typical whiny nasal singing voice and gets so bad that it would make you want to throw down the album altogether.

_Beady Eye_ are _Oasis_ in all but name, carrying a handful of catchy tunes but nothing substantially new.