Warwick students engage in Palestine solidarity week

Palestine solidarity week was marked at Warwick University between March 8 and 11. The annual programme of events was organised by the ‘Friends of Palestine’ society and aims to bring attention to Palestinian issues.

Co-ordinator of the week Zara Ferjani stated “The aim is not to be divisive, rather to unite Palestinians, Israelis and everyone else interested in the cause and to highlight the humanitarian issues involved in both the West Bank and Palestine. It also celebrates the culture and history of Palestine.” The week also featured fundraising for the charity ‘Medical Aid for Palestinians’, which provides medical training for doctors, burns victims and those cut off from medical aid in the West Bank.

Commencing the week, Sylvie Summer of ‘Jews for Justice’ gave a talk entitled ‘The growing movement of Jews and non-Jews for Palestinian rights’. An Israeli by birth, Summer spoke about her life experiences and argued that students can make a difference to the situation in Palestine, urging them to consider if the actions of their university contributes to the suffering of people in Palestine. ‘Jews for Justice’ has previously organised a boycott of Israeli products in Leamington’s Tesco Metro.

However, third-year Israeli law student Misha Hinchin commented: “The entire notion which underlines the Palestine solidarity week seems to be questionable. If our University is to promote equality and awareness shouldn’t there be an ‘Israel solidarity week’ as well?

“A change could only be achieved when both parties will enjoy the same platform,” she added. “When was the last time anyone campaigned for or promoted Israel? This week an Israeli family was murdered in cold blood, no one even mentioned this. Stop ignoring what is right in front of you – aim for true equality.”

The most well attended talk of the week was given by Najwan Abu Najan, a 19-year old student at Birzeit University in the West Bank. She reflected on the daily struggles endured by her family. When asked how her maintained her positive outlook on life, she responded: “I smile not because it’s funny or because I just want to smile. I smile because I’m tired of crying.”

A charity dinner concluded the week with food served from Habibis.

Second-year French with International Studies student Siraj Datoo commented on the week: “It seems to be a vital tradition at Warwick that students raise awareness of those who are in worse situations and Palestine Solidarity Week is one of these weeks. It makes me proud to go to a university where students care so much about others’ situations…

“The only qualm I had with the week was the lack of objectivity,” he added. “The Palestinian people are crying for freedom and the reaction is pitiful. People living in the same region feel anger towards one another and the peace can only start once one side is the bigger man. It is now time for the West to stop making hypocritical claims about caring about human rights and take a stance.”