A virtual march of millions

On Friday 11 February 2011, history was made. On this day, Egypt danced, sang and cried with the fall of dictator Hosni Mubarak after 30 years in power. The meaning of his fall went beyond this, as it symbolised the end of a system which was reliant on brutal oppression in existence since 1952.

The social network was fundamental to this moment in history. I’m not just talking about Facebook, but a wider phenomenon of a collective consciousness created and supported by a powerful communication tool – the internet. We cannot deny what had been bubbling up in the Egyptian hotpot, ready to spill over – unemployment, profound inequality and state oppression. The catalyst given by their Tunisian brothers and sisters was also imperative. However, the revolutions taking hold of the Middle East would not have come about so contagiously without the power of online networks.

Wael Ghonim, a 30-year-old Google marketing executive, was one of the people behind the Facebook page which prompted the 25 January Revolution. Ghonim joined the protests, which he anonymously organised before disappearing on the third day of demonstration, re-emerging from a prison cell 12 days later. His actions have transformed Egypt, and indeed, as we will come to know, will fundamentally shape the Middle East and potentially global politics. He is just one member of a generation living in the age of the internet, youths who have come to know and utilise its power. As one witty tweeter put it: “Behind every Arab revolution is a Facebook page and a hashtag”. Ghonim’s own close associate, in referring to his decision to put Ghonim’s life at risk said: “The page is more important than any individual”.

Online social networks remained significant and dynamic forces throughout the gruelling 18 days of protest. They were used for communication, organisation and journalism amongst other things. One thing which was noticeable about the BBC coverage was its use of tweets to get a picture of events as they unfolded, particularly as working as a foreign journalist became very dangerous. Tweets came in from Egyptians on the ground as well as celebrities and heads of state including Barack Obama.

But social networks were most imperative as tools of motivation. One thing that is evident in the 25 January Revolution is that it never lost momentum. The people never allowed the stubbornness of Mubarak to overcome their determination. “People power can’t be crushed” and “they call us kids…but look what the kids have done” are just two examples of the many tweeting voices of the revolution.

This determined and unified spirit was not only evident in their words on Twitter, but crucially in the Egyptians’ actions – even when the government shut down the internet. For example, for those 18 days of protest, Tahrir, or Liberation Square, became many people’s home. Anti-Mubarak protestors slept in front of tanks to prevent their advances. The striking images of Copts forming a protective barrier around their Muslim brethren during Friday prayers were moving and certainly inspirational in their message which they were sending out to the world: ‘Eid wahda’ – one hand.

Despite being 3,644 kilometres away in Coventry, as I watched events unfold in Egypt, I was personally moved, as were many others. Many displayed Facebook statuses and Tweets of support. A ‘virtual march of millions’ took place on Facebook, attracting over 800,000 attendants. Ceaseless tweeting of events as they happened, and live video streams and photos meant that over the duration of the revolution, in spite of distance, it was possible for one to feel their purpose, their pain, and finally their overwhelming joy.

Facebook and Twitter are more than just social networks. The revolution proved their potential to amplify previously unheard voices. They created solidarity both within a nation and between peoples of different nations, providing compelling evidence that human freedom and dignity is universal. This is the first time a revolution has happened in this way. All over the world, one heart beats for Egyptian blood. And the beat goes on.