Varsity: Rugby aim to clear out Coventry

In many people’s eyes, the ‘true Varsity finale’ remains the rugby union fixture. Although the match will not be the formal centrepiece of this year’s Varsity Series, it will still be a hefty clash involving one of the university’s most prominent sports.

Last year’s Varsity Series was the closest in history. Before the concluding rugby union fixture, the university was on the brink of not winning the Varsity Series for the first time. It was Warwick 35 – Coventry 34. The Butts Arena was filled with a far greater proportion of Coventry supporters, buoyant after their rugby league upset. The pressure was on.

And the team delivered. In a gritty display, the team defeated their Coventry counterparts 21-12, thereby retaining the Varsity shield for the university and sparking off wild celebrations. If this year’s fixture contains even half the drama of last year’s finale, we are in for a treat.

Due to a murky internal matter, Coventry University have banned their rugby club from playing in the Varsity finale at the Butts Arena. This year’s match will consequently be played at Coventry’s Westwood Heath pitches, at the earlier date of Saturday 13th March.

Football will now take the headlining role at the Butts Arena. This was understandably a disappointment, but first team captain George Milligan claims that “there are no bitter feelings, we have to make the best of the situation”.

The team has had a difficult season. It is embroiled in a relegation scrap with Worcester’s first team, Sheffield Hallam’s first team and Nottingham’s second team. However, this was always going to be a tough season as a newly promoted side in the highly competitive Premier North B league. Milligan feels that “with a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck” the team stands a good chance of staying up.

This year’s squad is packed with talent. In the front row, Chris Wombell is a strong scrummager and an effective ball carrier, providing the solid foundations necessary for any good side. Conor Hatton and first-year Richard Newman are developing into fine locks, whilst Ben Rees is a constant thorn in the opposition’s side as open-side flanker.

Versatile half-back David Thompson will be crucial in orchestrating proceedings as the link between forwards and backs. Sadly, the team will be without its fly half and 2009-10 ‘Player of the Year’ Olly Taylor, who is cruelly sidelined with a long-term knee injury. However, it seems that the squad has enough strength in depth to deal with such a blow.

Indeed, first-year Dom Rey has been most impressive in stepping into Taylor’s sizeable boots at fly half. The Rey family definitely seems to have a certain rugby pedigree; his older brother, Olivier Rey, was also a fine player for the Warwick first team.

Elsewhere, Rob Payne is an uncompromising presence in the team’s midfield, offering plenty of dynamism going forward, along with defensive strength. Nick Green is also a real threat on the wing.

The team appears to have genuine quality; while there may not be the same individual stars of previous years, all the players seem to be playing at a consistently high standard. Milligan must be content with his team. His only concern, perhaps, will be ensuring that he stays on the pitch for the full 80 minutes. Milligan’s disciplinary record includes being sin-binned six times in the last two seasons – that’s some record!

The second team will also be taking part in Varsity. Last year, the team romped to a crushing 62-3 victory over their Coventry counterparts. They will hope to inflict a similarly heavy defeat again this year.

Led by open-side flanker Jamie Godfrey, the team has had an encouraging season and is challenging for promotion from the Midlands 2A league. Interestingly, the Coventry first team ply their trade in this same league and the two sides have already met twice. It is one win apiece but, in the most recent match, the Warwick second team won 27-5. Additionally, the Warwick third team have drawn with the Coventry first team this season. These are very encouraging signs for both Warwick’s rugby union Varsity fixtures.

In that light, Milligan seems determined that both Warwick teams “show no mercy” to their Coventry rivals. Given that the first team sit two divisions above their Coventry rivals, that bold statement becomes very feasible. Hopefully, the matches will display plenty of attractive, free-flowing rugby and, most importantly, two Warwick victories. After all, in a Varsity context, Warwick has never lost to its less distinguished neighbours at rugby union. Long may it continue.

(If you are still undecided over whether to come and support, the draw of the rugby club’s resident film star – Sean Bourke – should be enough to convince you otherwise.)

The second team’s match will take place at Coventry’s Westwood Heath pitches on 13th March at 12pm. This will be followed by the first team’s match, which kicks off at 2pm.