Varsity: Volleyball Preview

It has been a very good year for competitive volleyball at Warwick: the Women’s first team is two victories away from winning their BUCS division. In comparison, the Men’s first team has just finished second overall in their BUCS championship league, which means that they will be headed to the BUCS national finals very soon.

The team coalesced quickly this year around several key players: most notably the captain Adam Bradbury and the power hitter Francesco Atenzi. These dedicated players have led the men’s first team to victories in many close and gruelling matches, and they will continue to lead the team through the even tougher matches ahead.

Following a disappointing result for the men’s first team against Cardiff University, in a single elimination match, which determined who continued onwards in the national BUCS finals, Volleyball hope to bounce back against Coventry.

This match was a rock concert type of match with big hitters and strong line-ups on both sides. Although men’s Volleyball suffered a 3-1 loss, the side is training harder than ever, which is a good thing for our Varsity chances too.

The men’s first team takes on Coventry’s squad on 16 March and it should be another amazing match to watch. Coventry has fielded a very strong team this year, but Warwick’s volleyball club has a good history of consistently beating Coventry’s best, and the team are looking forward to clinching a convincing win this 16 March. It promises to be a great show.