Varsity: Tennis looking to serve up an ace

As one of the most competitive and successful sports societies at the university, Warwick Tennis goes into the forthcoming Varsity fixture with high expectations. Offering opportunities for players of all abilities to train with Lawn Tennis Association qualified coaches across three ability groups, the club attracts a high level of competition, and some outstanding players.

Whilst highly competitive, the club has an active social side, with Social Play running year-long. This provides an opportunity for some friendly competition in a non-competitive environment to complement training, practice for competition, or just to meet new people. Tours, friendly competitions, and, of course, the infamous ‘circles’ are organised to create an environment in which enthusiasts can equally be focused on competition, or simply enjoy the social side of tennis – it’s a little different from the strawberries and cream of Wimbledon here at Warwick.

Men’s first team captain Oliver Tritton was keen to emphasise the potential of this year’s tennis squad ahead of the Varsity fixtures. As captain, Tritton is tasked with selecting four or five players, from a talented squad of seven, to represent Warwick at Varsity. This will be no easy task, with Tritton expressing his belief that “this is the strongest team that we have had for a while.”

One player Tritton is sure will make an impact at Varsity is Michael Bagdhadi, a postgraduate who has played at county and national level, and who, in Tritton’s words, is “without a doubt the best player in the league.”

Warwick competes in the BUCS leagues, a nationwide ladder comprised of six tiers, in which both the first and second men’s teams occupy a place in the second tier. To have two teams ranked so highly is an achievement in itself, with opposition in the form of Birmingham, Oxford, Nottingham and Loughborough providing a high level of competition.

Warwick was unlucky to miss out on promotion to the top tier this year, even after defeating the eventual league winners, Birmingham, 12-0. The women’s teams have also been extremely successful, with the firsts competing in the second tier of a four league system.

Warwick has traditionally excelled at tennis during Varsity; Tritton recalled last year’s comprehensive victory over our rivals as an example of just how successful Warwick have been on the tennis court. This will be the third time he has represented Warwick at Varsity, and, following successes over the past two years, the captain will be keen to ensure that this year Warwick will be able to once again prove themselves to be the better team.

Coventry competes in the third tier of the BUCS leagues, one below Warwick, so our team are heavy favourites for the Varsity clash. Traditionally regarded as the more successful of the two universities, Warwick, however, will be taking nothing for granted against a team undefeated this year.

Tritton knows his team will have to guard against the complacency that can creep into the mindset of a team competing against traditionally weaker opposition, and is sure to have his players highly motivated. With the tennis season ending midway through the winter term, and Warwick being given a bye in the cup, efforts will have to be made to ensure the team is ready for the clash with Coventry.

With Tritton claiming that the current squad is the strongest in recent memory, expectations will be high ahead of Varsity. We can only hope that the team do not become too complacent ahead of the Varsity games. With such promising players representing Warwick at Varsity, it seems unlikely that the pressure involved in the event will have an incredibly negative impact. Hopefully, Warwick will be able to live up to these expectations, and continue their recent dominance over our rivals.