Varsity: Rugby League out to avenge last year’s defeat

The defining moment in the Warwick rugby league calendar is almost here. The first team are set for another tightly contested fixture against their bitter Coventry rivals.

The team will hope to improve on last year’s disappointing result. Despite having beaten Coventry earlier in the season, the side succumbed to an 18-10 defeat in the Varsity fixture. In the ‘cauldron’ of the Butts Arena, the team did not perform to their potential, largely due to poor decision making. As could be expected, the current players are determined to avenge this painful defeat.

This year’s outfit is led by second-row Robbie Gorman. He has at his disposal an extremely promising pool of players. James Creighton-Hardy has been a prolific goal-kicker while his general reading of the game has been equally impressive. At hooker, Alexander Kennedy has proved a revelation; his work rate and quality have certainly not gone unnoticed. Furthermore, as he is only in his first year, the future of rugby league at Warwick looks bright. However, perhaps the most crucial individual in the Warwick rugby league set-up is the coach – Troy Perkins – a former Australian Rugby League international. Perkins’ rugby pedigree is obvious and he appears to command the total respect of his players.

The first team have had a pleasing season. Their 3rd place finish in Midlands League A was one of the highest in the club’s recent history. The regular season was brought to a close with an excellent victory over Oxford Brookes and the team hopes to carry this momentum through to match day.

Prop Alex Allen recognises that they will face a real challenge against Coventry. Although they were relegated from Midlands League A last year, Coventry have been unbeaten all this season and romped to promotion. Coventry will undoubtedly be extremely fired up for this match against their more prestigious neighbours. All in all, Coventry will be formidable and motivated opponents. In Allen’s own words, “the team will have to front up”.

At the same time, however, Allen feels that the team should not alter their tactical approach that has proved so successful for them this season. Rather than being drawn into a dogfight with Coventry, the players want to contest the match on their own terms.

The scene is set for a fiercely competitive match. It’s certainly not to be missed.