Varsity: Netball – Warwick 27 Coventry 40

The second event in the Varsity XXI series saw the clash of the UWWNC first team against their Coventry rivals in front of a packed crowd at the Coventry Sports Centre.

Both teams started strongly in a fast paced first quarter with the score even on goal. Following successful turnovers Coventry pulled away by 5 goals but some excellent interceptions made by centre court players Charlie Gale and Emma Mingers brought Warwick within 3 goals to end the quarter 8 – 11.

Following some changes to the Warwick side, the second quarter started slowly with Coventry capitalising on their lead. Their defence proved difficult to penetrate with an aggressive performance by the Coventry goalkeeper (a Northern Thunder Netball Superleague player) preventing easy passes into the circle. Despite being tightly marked by her opponent, Warwick goal shooter Rachel Strickland was on excellent form, battling hard in the circle and was able to receive difficult balls, successfully converting her shots from even the tightest of angles. This brought the score to 15 -21 at half time.

The third quarter saw some excellent defensive play by Warwick defenders Charlotte Rider and Lauren Peters, with some great tips in the circle despite their height disadvantage.

Unfortunately, the accuracy of the Coventry shooters meant that despite valiant efforts by Warwick, Coventry were able to pull away as the quarter ended with a 10 goal lead at 21-31.

Tactical changes for the final quarter saw a revitalised Warwick side fighting back in our strongest performance of the match. The players had settled into the game, gelling well together by effortlessly bringing the ball down the court and Warwick were able to reduce the goal deficit. Sadly, Coventry’s numerical advantage from the previous quarters proved to be difficult to beat and despite losing the quarter by only 3 goals the match ended at 27-40.

The next Varsity netball match will take place on Varsity day (16 March) and the UWWNC 2s look forward to redeeming Warwick pride by upholding their unbeaten Varsity record.

UWWNC: Rachel Strickland, Katie Sanders, Vicky Eatough, Sarah Haville, Rachel Toner, Martha Pearson, Emma Mingers, Charlie Gale, Fay Whitby, Lauren Peters, Charlotte Rider.