Varsity: American Football – Warwick Wolves 13 Coventry 6

The much-awaited Varsity American Football match between the Warwick Wolves and Coventry Jets promised to be an enthralling encounter.

Falling on the same day as the XLV Super Bowl in the US, excitement was running high among both the players and the spectators. The game had originally been scheduled for later in the season, but a last minute rearrangement meant that both teams only had a week to prepare for a game that held not only pride on the line, but also crucial points towards both of the teams’ seasons as it went towards the league standings.

Wind speed was high on the day as the 1-2 Wolves won the toss and to took the field, choosing to start the game with their offense who, prior to this game had struggled to gain yards and post any real threat.

The opening drive, however, removed any doubts as Warwick drove 80 hard-earned yards down the field with their solid running game, scoring with a fantastic pass to Tino Charamba from rookie quarterback Stelios Kabouridis to give the Wolves a seven point lead.

The Wolves’ defense also fared well against a struggling Jets offense that consistently failed to find its rhythm. A pair of interceptions by Ben Nagle-Taylor and Tom Chester, combined with huge pressure from the defensive line kept the Jets grounded and unable to make a stand.

Good field position gave Warwick chances to score, and after a missed field goal, their third drive found them with 10 yards to the goal following a diving catch for a 20-yard gain from club president Pete Coppenhall.

With only 1:30 on the clock, adrenaline and tempers ran high but a solid defensive play from Coventry left the Wolves on their opponent’s two-yard line with only seconds to spare. The Wolves failed to capitalise, finishing their drive with an incomplete pass on 4th down. This left the Wolves with a 7-0 lead at half time.

The third quarter saw both sides gain chances, but the defenses held strong as there was no further scoring. In the fourth quarter a lofted throw from quarterback Tyam Kroon was timed perfectly to grant receiver Joshpreet Tiwana with a touchdown, Warwick increasing their lead to 13-0.

The Coventry offense found their stride late on and began putting plays together. With a trick play from the middle of the field the Jets were able to snatch 50 yards for a touchdown. Every player was nervous with several minutes still on the clock and the score at 13-6, but the game finally ended to a huge roar from the Warwick team as full time blew.

With bragging rights on the line, the Wolves had kept their composure to grasp just their second win of the season.

Approximately fifty spectators witnessed the encounter on Westwood Playing Fields, and were able to enjoy the 13-6 Warwick victory. This was the second time in two years that the Warwick Wolves have beaten the Coventry Jets, continuing their proud undefeated Varsity record.

The Varsity victory moves Warwick to 2-2, and a win in their next game against Lincoln will give them their first winning record for six years.