Online crime map shows Leam worst in area

A recent Government crime map placed crime levels in Leamington town centre at the top of figures for surrounding areas. The Home Office online map shows that last December, 468 crimes were reported in Leamington.

This high rate is in stark comparison with other areas of Warwickshire and Warwick University campus, where incidences of even minor crimes are low and an incidence rate of almost zero crime was reported in December.

Royal Leamington Spa, home to a large proportion of the student body who live off campus, suffers crime associated with the late-night pub, bar and club industry, which flourishes in the town centre. The ‘night-time economy’ may be indirectly responsible for much of the crime. With a particular focus on Regent Street, the crime map shows that incidences of shoplifting, drug offences and criminal damage were also reported. 180 reports of anti-social behaviour are shown, with at least 24 of these centring on the Parade.

In comparison, crime on-campus is reported to be much lower. Welfare Officer Leo Bøe pointed out that the campus is mostly free of relatively minor offences and, due to logistical reasons, certain crimes such as burglary and direct theft are unlikely to occur.

Figures show that 2 percent of students have been physically harassed on campus, 10 percent verbally harassed or assaulted and 5 percent sexually harassed or assaulted. Statistics on in-hall crime are harder to ascertain, as minor incidents of stealing from kitchens are unlikely to be reported as thefts, if students feel inclined to report such offences at all.

Despite a vast increase in crime awareness in the past decade, hate, faith-based and discrimination crimes still take place, although such offences occur much more frequently off-campus in surrounding areas such as Coventry city centre and Leamington. There have been a low number of off-campus incidents relating to faith and ethnic background reported so far this year. In relation to hate crimes, Bøe stated that “the University and Students’ Union have to work harder to inform students about what constitutes a hate crime and to increase awareness on the reporting of such issues. I am currently carrying out further research through consultation with minority groups.”

With regards to prejudice against students from minority groups, Warwick University has one of the most progressive reasonable adjustment programmes for students with disabilities, compared to other universities. Campaigns Forum co-ordinator Megan Fortune said: “They are satisfactory, but every uni should be striving to promote greater access for disabled students, especially with mental health issues and learning difficulties.”

Bøe suggested that reasons for the low reporting of crime on campus are due to factors such as limited student knowledge and awareness of how to report the relevant offence, and a low inclination to do this generally. However, he also stressed the importance for students to report crime to the authorities. Warwick campus has a Security Gatehouse which is staffed at all times year round, providing a means for students to report serious incidents and facilitates the implementation of emergency procedures.

Recently, members of the Warwick Improvised Theatre Society brought a travelling crime-prevention road show to campus, with stops around the various halls of residence. They worked in conjunction with local police, with the premise of the event to remind students of simple crime prevention tactics.

In an initiative to enforce tougher crime-prevention methods to deter criminals on-campus, Coventry City Council has worked with Warwick Security. Resident wardens will soon be issuing etching pens, available to any student who wishes to ensure the security of their property. The pens work electronically to invisibly imprint postcodes onto items such as laptops and hi-fis.

The consensus of student opinion appears to be that Warwick campus is a safe place. Second-year historian Emilia Halton Hernandez stated: “Warwick campus is welcoming and peaceful and feels much safer than many other places.”