Judo Grading: Term Two

On Wednesday 23rd of February twenty members of Warwick Judo Club stepped onto the mat for the termly club grading, a test of technical ability and knowledge. World champion and Olympic competitor Steve Gawthorpe was the coach on hand to put everyone through their paces.

The session began with a warm up, which helped to put everyone’s nerves at ease! First to be tested were Jonathan Simmons, Peter Tweedale and Rory Campbell who were all beginning their Judo journey and attempting to get their first official grades, 6th Kyu or Red belt. After only a term of lessons it was clear they were all a little nervous but they all managed to successfully demonstrate each of the five key elements being tested; breakfalls, throws, groundwork, combinations techniques and terminology.

The majority of members on the mat had completed the requirements for their 6th Kyu last term and therefore were all trying to obtain their next belt, yellow (5th Kyu). Like the requirements for 6th Kyu the judoka are again tested on each of the five key elements but this time have to demonstrate more complex and technical techniques both standing, on the ground and transitioning between the two. Yet again the Warwick members came out on top impressively demonstrating all of the techniques required.

A special mention goes to all of the new green belts; Robbie Ripamonti, Philip Harley, John Thornby and Jack Griffiths who have all progressed quickly this year due to their dedication and perseverance during training at Warwick and Coventry Judo clubs.

Steve Gawthorpe, who has many years of experience in all aspects of the sport, had no choice but to pass everyone with flying colours. All those who graded will be aspiring to join the Warwick Judo squad, who so far have had an extremely successful competitive year and hope to add to their medal haul at BUCS on the 19th of March.