Cult Heroes: Paul Gascoigne

Sir Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest British manager of the modern era, once famously said, “My biggest regret? Not signing Gazza” – a quote that encapsulates the talent of Paul Gascoigne.

A hero of years gone by, whose reputation has taken a never-ending dive. Now the majority of people look past the individual on the football pitch to the character which has emerged off of it. And even though his life since retiring has deteriorated to disturbing levels, his record on the field shows the magnificent ability with which he was blessed.

He was born and bred in the North-East, where Newcastle took him on as a schoolboy to play in their Youth team. From there he managed to claim a spot as a regular in the Newcastle side and by 1988 was awarded the PFA Young Player of the Year accolade.

Gascoigne’s skill and capability of changing a game single-handedly made him such an impressive asset. At 23 he was picked by Bobby Robson and became an integral part of the England team as the 1990 World Cup approached.

The episode of ‘Gazza’s tears’ in the Semi Final against Germany has gone down in English football folklore. It proved his loyalty and passion to those who thought he was just a jester and a fool. Even now, in every run up to a major championship, the pictures of Gazza crying at the sight of the yellow card are shown invariably.

As well as being the creative mind behind the teams he played for, Gascoigne notched up 93 career goals, of which many can be described as breathtaking.

For instance, when he was playing for Tottenham against Arsenal in the 1991 FA Cup Semi Final, he placed a perfect free kick from all of 35 yards past the helpless David Seaman. There was the hat-trick he scored for Rangers against Aberdeen to clinch the Scottish League title in 1996, of which his first two were stunning individual efforts which would have had the likes of Maradona and Messi licking their lips. But no one can forget the finish against Scotland in the 1996 European Championships at Wembley. Only seconds after Seaman had saved a penalty at one end, Gascoigne flicked it over the Scottish defender Colin Hendry and rifled his shot into the corner of the goal at the other. A genius finish, for a genius player.

His international Career spanned 57 caps and 10 goals. The opportunity to play more was cut short by Glenn Hoddle, before the 1998 World Cup in France, who decided his disciplinary problems more than anything were not up to scratch.

He was so infuriated he wrecked Hoddle’s hotel room in his anger. Ultimately this recklessness hampered his career. A clear-minded and mellow Gascoigne may have extended his international days, but the impact on his performance could have been calamitous.

Contending with injuries was also one of Gascoigne’s major issues. After sending Spurs through to the FA Cup final in 1991 he injured himself just 17 minutes in.

Attempting a wild tackle, he tore his right cruciate knee ligaments, which left him unable to play for a lengthy 16 months. As with many creative players though, he soon attracted the interest of several European clubs, and it was Lazio who snatched him up for £5.5 million after he had recovered.

Moving away to foreign climates has never traditionally been easy for English players, and Gazza epitomised this.

More injuries and general inconsistency meant that after just a few seasons, he moved back to Britain, but this time to Scotland.

Gascoigne was undoubtedly indebted to some of the exceptional managers whom he played under. Not only Bobby Robson for England but also Walter Smith, who seemed to be able to curb his eccentricity better than most, for Rangers.

While playing for the blue half of Glasgow he won the Scottish League twice, the Scottish Cup, the Scottish League Cup, Scottish Player’s Player of the Year and Scottish Football Writer’s Player of the Year. These dazzling achievements proved that even after the injuries and international disappointment, the talent he had always demonstrated was still there.

As he got older, he moved back to England where he played several games for Middlesbrough and Everton, but personal problems began to get in the way. He jetted off the play for Chinese side Gansu Tianma but this stint was cut short by treatment for drinking and depression.

Although it is hard for many people under the age of thirty to understand the flair Gascoigne produced, one quick trip to Youtube will explain all.

His quick feet, awareness, ability to find space, knowledge of precisely where his teammates were and instinctive nature in front of goal made him the best English player of his generation.

For Ferguson to speak so highly of him proves how outstanding he could often be.

So even if he has failed so far in his managerial ambitions, and had his physical and mental health frequently questioned, Paul Gascoigne was a once-in-a-lifetime footballer, whose ability on the pitch could have matched nearly anyone. He captured the hearts and minds of fans like no one else has ever since perhaps George Best.

And when his off-field antics were similar to Best’s, on the pitch, with just a football below him, he was mesmerising.