Burger King boss insults British women and food

Burger King Global Boss Bernardo Hees recently sparked controversy after making tactless comments about his time at Warwick University to a group of American students. His attempts to “connect with his audience” in California backfired with anger from both women and British chefs.

The forty-year-old Chief Executive claimed there was nothing to distract him from his work whilst carrying out his studies for an MBA at the University. He complained that, “the food is terrible and the women are unattractive”.

Charlotte Fritzner, Women’s Campaigns Officer at Warwick University, commented on the CEO’s remarks: “it doesn’t make Burger King an attractive employer for women”.

Fritzner’s comments preceded International Women’s Week, which took place last week to celebrate the ‘economic, social, cultural and political achievements for women’.

In the aftermath of a week which promotes equality for women, one first-year Psychology student Taylor Davies was shocked by these remarks. She said, “I think it’s terrible that female students are viewed like that and if you ask me it’s untrue anyway.” Amy Collins, a first-year English and Latin student noted that his statement was “rather a sweeping generalisation”.

Further afield than the University, Hees’ comments have caused anger and could potentially have a negative effect on the company’s image. Fritzner asked: “If he views women as potential distractions in academia, I wonder how he views them in the workplace?” A similar blunder by a jewellery tycoon, Gerald Ratner, who called his own products “total crap” in 1991 preceded a sharp drop in the value of his company. However, one employee at a Burger King restaurant in Coventry, Yvonne Ncube, said that “she wasn’t really that bothered” by Hees’ comments.

Hees was a surprise choice for the top job at the fast food chain, with no previous experience in food service, or apparently in public relations. He took over the role of Chief Executive last September, after the fast food corporation, which has around 11,500 restaurants worldwide, was bought by Brazilian private equity firm 3G for $4 billion. As well as studying at Warwick University, Hees also spent time studying at Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro and Harvard University.

Warwick boasts numerous cafes, bars and restaurants with a range of cuisine which one student described as “over priced, but good”. Fiona Brown, a first-year English and Latin student, commented on the irony of Hees’ statement: “He’s in charge of an unhealthy fast food chain, and he’s complaining about our food?”

Following the controversy caused by Hees’ remarks, Burger King issued a statement on Sunday night apologising for his comments on the University. The company said: “Mr. Hees apologises if his comment has offended anyone. It… was intended as a humorous anecdote to connect with his audience.”