Warwick Wolverines become British first

The Warwick Wolverines have become the first ever British women’s American Football team.

Consisting of several enthusiastic young women from the University of Warwick, they are a pioneering team for the British University American Football League’s (BUAFL) new “Women’s 5 on 5” initiative. The initiative aims to get more women involved in a non-contact version of the sport.

BUFAL Director Andy Fuller said, “The team at Warwick have been at the forefront of the league’s initiative. Given the pedigree of the university, the commitment of the girls and the quality of the coaching staff I have no doubt they will emerge as a benchmark of the programme in Great Britain.”

Head of Women’s Football for BUAFL Dr Elesa Argent said it was a dream come true to see the women’s league taking shape. “Warwick have staked a place in history, and they will, no doubt, provide inspiration to other talented athletes who want to get involved. We have a long term vision of supporting both women’s flag and tackle.”

Head coach Andrew Gambrill commented that “The standard of play was at the highest level I’ve ever seen from any new group of players. And if you’re expecting me to add the caveat “for girls”, it just isn’t the case.”

Assistant coach Tikisha Mccook added “It’s great working with the girls, they’ve picked everything up so quickly and their enthusiasm makes it fun to work with them.”

The majority of the coaches involved come from the Coventry Jet’s American Football Academy, which aims to bring a non-contact version of American Football to people of all ages, male and female.

The Wolverine’s first test is on Thursday 3rd February when they take on the Warwick Wolves men’s team in Warwick’s One World Week celebrations. Kick-off is at 3:30pm on Tocil Field.

Any women from Warwick University wanting to get involved should contact Philip Gaydon at P.K.Gaydon@wariwck.ac.uk.