Un-Bøe-lievable: Leo wins presidency

The results of the tightly-fought Union Officer Elections which have dominated campus during Week 5 were announced on Saturday night in the Copper Rooms.

Current Welfare Officer Leo Bøe came out on top in the election for President ahead of a strong nine-candidate field, with Jane Costello and Jonathan Barnes coming in a close second and third respectively. His successful campaign will make him the second successive international student to become Union President, after Daniel Stevens won last year.

“I was not expecting this,” said Bøe. “I’m in a similar state to what I was last year,” he added, referring to his election to the Welfare position in another close contest.

Meanwhile Matthew Rogers, who spent much of the week giving out free tea on the Piazza, was elected as Societies officer ahead of three other candidates. Chris Sury was declared as the new Sports Officer ahead of Rob Shead.

Izzy John’s win in the Welfare elections makes her the only female Sabbatical Officer on the new team, and the first since the 2009/10 academic year.

All three of the incumbent Sabbatical Officers who ran for positions that were declared last night, including Bøe, won their respective contests: Chris Luck was elected as Democracy Officer while current Sports Officer George Whitworth will become the first Union Development Officer, which will replace the Finance Officer Position. The current Sabb team will continue until the summer break, when they will hand over the jobs to the new team.

One Sabbatical Officer position is yet to be elected after Sean Ruston, a candidate for Education Officer, was hospitalised at the start of the week. This election will take place later in the term.

Turnout was at record levels, with 4,823 voters taking part and 51,710 votes cast.

For full results of all Sabbatical and Part-Time Officer elections, click [here](https://theboar.org/a/21d).