Possible visa changes could cut EU student numbers

Proposals announced last Monday could see fewer students from outside the EU being permitted to come to the UK to study pre-foundation degree courses, and the required standard of English to be raised.

“The Student Immigration System” report also looked at the possibility of limiting international students to work on campus on week days only, requiring students who want to remain in the UK after their initial course to re-apply from overseas, and ending the post-study work visa. This entitles students to remain in the UK for two years after their degree to look for employment.

The consultation is part of Government efforts to reduce net migration from the current 215,000 to less than 100,000 by 2015. It is estimated that in 2009, around two-thirds of student visas were issued to those coming to the UK to study foundation courses. Damien Green, the Immigration Minister, aims to put a stop to students abusing the system by using pre-degree courses as cover to come to the UK to work.

The proposals have been met with a backlash from university leaders. According to the English language teaching association, English UK, universities recruit nearly almost half of their overseas students from foundation courses. At Warwick, 17 percent of undergraduates, and roughly one third of postgraduates, are from outside the EU. If the plans go ahead, it is unclear whether students who are currently at the University would be affected.

Currently, international students at Warwick pay £11,500 per year to study a Humanities degree, and £15,000 for a Science-based subject. It is uncertain how the University would plug the funding gap caused by a reduction in the number of international students, at the same time as 40 percent cuts to its teaching budget.

Peter Dunn, University Press Officer commented: “The key thing is that there remains a clear differentiation between what the government now sees as ‘Highly Trusted Sponsors’ of overseas students (universities in the main) and other educational providers. Up [until] now, [the] Government has trusted universities in a number of ways. We are concerned about any change to the arrangement that reduces trust in us and have said so to [the] Government.”

SU President Daniel Stevens said the changes are unfair: “They are too far-reaching, they target all students, and punish the majority for the problems of a small minority.” He described the Government’s pledge to reduce net immigration by 2015 as “based on populism” and that it was “hell-bent” on achieving this target through reducing the number of overseas students.

He questioned the economic basis for the changes: “It’s incredibly important for Warwick to remain competitive. For international students, the world is their oyster. Other countries such as the US and Canada are making themselves a much more attractive option than the UK. If all international students were to go home, most UK universities would be insolvent.”

Tashan Mehta, a second-year international student, reiterated Stevens’ concerns: “I’ve heard stories of friends having to change plans for a postgraduate here, just because visas to England from India are not being issued, and turn instead to the US.

“The new visa changes make me feel like I’m some sort of thief, plotting to scam England and I think that is unfair because international students are paying a lot for the privilege to come here. What makes it worse is that all my friends who are British here think the changes are silly: this country is just filled with such amazing people and the Government doesn’t reflect their views at all.”

However, a third-year Physics student said “I can see where the Government is coming from, especially at a time when the economy is making it harder and harder for graduates to get a job after university. I’m not saying it’s right, but there should definitely be a discussion about visas and immigration.”