Success for Warwick Polo

Warwick Polo Club returned from the University Challenge Tournament at Rugby Polo Club on the 28th November after a weekend of achievement amidst fierce competition. The club took four teams to compete against Universities from across the country, including two Beginner teams with members who had only been playing for eight weeks! Warwick’s Beginner 1 team of Ruth Grundy, Adeline Jen and Louisa Lim finished 4th; a fantastic result for a very deserving team. In each match they played some great polo and through dedicated teamwork they worked together to win against some tough teams. The Beginner 2 team unfortunately met the eventual division winners, Harper Adams, in their first match. However, there were exceptional displays of skill from the players; with Mette Asmild and Maddy Alexander scoring some fantastic goals, Emily Serraillier’s great defensive play and Sharon Wang’s winning penalty in their final match.

The Novice section was dominated by Warwick as usual; with the tournament culminating in an all Warwick Novice final! The Novice 1 team of Alice Raicher, Jill Oxenham and Alice John played very well against some difficult teams in order to get to the final, whilst the Novice 2 team of Dan Bradford, Mike Burr, Ben Goldsmith and Heather Lacy were relentless with their goal scoring and defensive tactics in their bid to reach the final and ensure a top Warwick result. The final match was fast and furious end-to-end play; as each team seemed to answer a goal with another goal in response. The Novice 1 team were triumphant in the end, scoring in the last seconds of the match to win 3-2. A fantastic result for Warwick Novices coming away with a 1st and 2nd place in the first tournament of the year; and a very promising start for the Beginner teams as well. The Polo Club is hoping to continue their success in the University National Championships this coming February.