Premiership’s top 10 underrated players

The Premier League is awash with world-class players; Drogba, Rooney, Fabregas, Gerrard, Vidic-the list just goes on and on. But behind each and every star player is a player who puts the team first, each and every time, and allows the stars to be stars. A vital cog in any team’s wheel who does just enough to avoid media praise and attention and just enough to be one of the first names on the team sheet every week. The Premiership is filled to the brim with classy yet underrated players who are happy to sit back and let their teammates attract the plaudits.

The term ‘underrated’ is a difficult one to define. The more someone becomes labelled as ‘underrated’, the more rated and well-known they become. Is there some sort of hypothetical line that players reach when their talent is duly recognised and they become ‘rated’ players? Then, when their form slips, do they now become ‘overrated’? Nevertheless, I think there are two types of underrated player:

1. The Never-quite-made-it’s. Guys who have been solid performers for years, or world-class for a little while, who never rose above a mid-level league club for reasons unknown

2. The Cog in the Wheel. Players at big clubs or in major leagues who are quietly brilliant but don’t get the headlines the way their more celebrated teammates do.

Obviously this list is entirely subjective and I’m sure many people will disagree and provide alternatives. Nevertheless, here are my top 10 Premiership unsung heroes this season that are due just a little more credit than they get…

1. Matthew Etherington

At risk of fading into obscurity under Zola at West Ham, Tony Pulis purchased this young Englishman for £2m in 2008 and he soon became a revelation. Stoke’s player of the season last year, he is one of the few naturally left-sided players in the Premiership. A traditional winger, with pace, flair and with a pinpoint cross wingers all over the country will drool over, it is amazing how Etherington has not received an England call-up. The national team hardly has an abundance of left-footed wingers. According to Opta, since the start of last season no player has assisted a higher percentage of a team’s Premier League goals than Etherington. Put simply, he is vital to Pulis’ gameplan and truly deserves more credit than he is given.

2. Luka Modric

Spurs have graced the country this season with attractive, attacking football, led by the world-class performances of Messieurs Bale and van der Vaart. But there is a 5”8’ tiny Croatian man providing the focal point of each attack and his name is Luka Modric. His range of passing and creative flair, together with his nimbleness and calmness against some of the Premiership’s biggest and toughest midfielders show us why he is so vital to Harry’s plans to break into the top 4 mould again. Humble, hard-working and surprisingly strong considering his stature, it won’t be long before a bigger club realises his potential and snaps him up.

3. Jussi Jaaskelainen

A Bolton stalwart having arrived at the Reebok Stadium in 1997, the Finnish goalkeeper has been the epitome of reliability and consistency behind an otherwise unfashionable club. Last season he made 139 saves with a save/shot percentage of 67%, the second highest in the league. Although now 35, Jussi seems to get better with age and a couple of times a season will put in a match-winning performance that the opposition can do nothing about. Mr Wenger, take note.

4. Christopher Samba

A classic moment from this season was watching Christopher Samba’s reaction to clearing off the line for Blackburn against Man City. The big defender jumped up, roared, punched the air and beat his chest triumphantly, as if he had just scored a last minute winner at Wembley. Such committed and passionate defending is beautiful to watch and sums up this Congolese centre-half. 12 goals to his name already, Samba was rewarded for his fine form with the Blackburn captaincy and he only seems to be improving.

5. Chung Yong-Lee

‘Who?’ I hear you cry. Exactly. Arguably the most unheralded on this list, Lee had a superb first season at Bolton, winning the Player of the Year, Players’ Player of the Year and best newcomer award. Possessing the rare gift of an intelligent football brain, combined with his skill and pace, he has been the focal point behind Bolton’s fine run of form this season. More of the same from this young Korean and it won’t be long before people start to remember his name.

6. Aaron Hughes

When I think of the term ‘unfashionable defender’ this name immediately comes to mind. Very rarely making the headlines, overshadowed by the performances of his colleague Brede Hangeland , Hughes’ low profile masks the fact that he is actually a superb centre-back. 500 Premier league games and 74 caps: not bad for a guy who is barely mentioned in most match reports. One of the few defenders to control the threat of Andy Carroll this season, his manager Mark Hughes recently spoke this about him; “Aaron has been outstanding since I became Fulham manager. He doesn’t get headlines, but everyone here knows how vital he is to the team”.

7. Ji-Sung Park

Originally seen as an extremely overrated player bought to sell shirts in Asia, Park has transformed himself into a reliable, hard-working and if anything, underrated footballer under Sir Alex. There is a reason why Fergie often calls him up for United’s big games. Of his 17 club goals, over one third have come against either Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or in the Champions league. Able to play anywhere in the midfield, he is always overshadowed by his more celebrated teammates and truly deserves more credit than he is given.

8. Matthew Jarvis

In fine form for Wolves this season, this impressive winger will be vital for Wolves’ fight to stay in the Premier league. Having spent the first half of the season tormenting full backs with his pace, movement and crossing, he fully deserved his first England call-up in November. The biggest shortcoming of the Wolves side is a lack of goals and if his fine deliveries are met more regularly by a teammate, be sure to see Wolves propel themselves up the table.

9. Clint Dempsey

Clint Dempsey aka ‘Deuce’(his rapping alias) has been a huge success and a popular figure at Craven Cottage since his arrival in 2007. Able to play in a variety of positions in the final third, his first strike in English football secured his team’s continued top flight-success and he finished top scorer a season later during a nervous relegation fight. He was also vital to Fulham’s fine run of form in Europe last season, scoring a stunning chip in the quarter finals against a resilient Juventus side. This year, despite a poor start, Dempsey has been a beacon of hope for Fulham; he has the ability to make opportunities for others as well as himself and if rumours of a £10m move to Liverpool are true, Fulham are in all sorts of trouble.

10. Roger Johnson

Birmingham’s transition from new boys to an established mid-table club within a year has been highly impressive. They equalled an all-time club record in going unbeaten at home for over a year and a large part of that is down to a stellar and steadfast defence of which Roger Johnson plays a vital role. Together with Stephen Carr, Liam Ridgewell and Scott Dann, Johnson has had Premiership strikers in his pocket week in, week out. He played in every single league game for Birmingham last season and contributed heavily to a defence that conceded less goals at home than the champions Chelsea.