England lay Adelaide demons to rest with dominant win

Sceptics and English pessimists looked on in slight concern early on day four of the second Ashes Test. England, 551-4 at stumps the previous evening, a colossal 306 runs ahead, had decided to stroll back out to the crease on the Test’s penultimate day looking to add yet more runs to their considerable tally.

Perhaps Andrew Strauss, England captain of almost two years now, was haunted by the memories of what happened in Adelaide four years previously. Back in those days of the infamous ‘whitewash’ series, the visitors lay down an identical marker of 551 before declaring confidently. Three days later, and the most unlikely of defeats had been snatched from the jaws of victory.

And so, no doubt unnerved by the run tally of last time being matched again at the end of day three, Strauss sent Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell out with the remit of ensuring no such embarrassment would be forthcoming this time.

Now, with a week to rest before the next meeting in Perth, captain Strauss can bask in the warm glow of vindication. Pietersen made it to 227, his highest ever Test score, before Ian Bell and Matt Prior led England to a declaration of 620 – a 375 run lead over their Australian hosts. Faced with the ignominy of having to score almost 400 runs at home just to put their opponents into bat for a second time, Ricky Ponting’s side were destined for defeat; England now lead the series 1-0.

In his post-match comments, former England captain Nasser Hussain remarked that he “can’t remember the last time all 11 English players were in form”, and it is hard to disagree with him. Pietersen’s virtuoso innings stole the show, but, from the moment Jonathan Trott ran out Simon Katich with just the fourth ball of the match, the current Ashes holders never looked in danger of losing.

The staggering tally of 620, the first time an England side has surpassed 500 runs in successive Ashes innings, was remarkable in itself, but special praise must also be reserved for the visitors’ bowling attack. James Anderson got them off to a rip-roaring start, as the Aussies found themselves 2-3 after just 13 balls. In the second innings, it was Graeme Swann that closed out victory. With figures of 5-91, and a particularly delicious final ball to see off Peter Siddle, the man from Northamptonshire proved that, for all the pre-series tomfoolery shown in his video diaries, he remains the world’s supreme spin bowler.

Make no mistake, though, this Australian side is the worst for many a year. One particular criticism recently levelled their way has been the notion that their bowling attack is of insufficient strength to take 20 wickets in a match. Given that, over two Tests, they have managed just 16 dismissals, Ponting’s side look in dire need of inspiration.

With such a feeble bowling line-up, the Aussies must instead rely on what remains a relatively strong batting line-up. This was blown out of the water within 3 overs in Adelaide. Katich returned to the dressing room without having faced a ball; Ponting, leading by example in the worst possible way, followed him there after a single delivery. Messrs Watson, Hussey and Haddin steadied the ship somewhat, but a final total of 245 was a pathetic return from a wicket notorious for its good batting conditions.

And yet, Australian problems should not be used to take away from England. Even allowing for the victory on home soil last year, the wounds of the 5-0 defeat four years ago will still have been raw on the long flight Down Under last month. Strauss’ side seem to have prepared as best they can, and are now reaping the rewards, inflicting the sort of embarrassment on their hosts that they’ve been forced to endure for many a decade.

Roll on Perth.