Students occupy ACCR in fees protest

Students have occupied the Arts Centre Conference Room in protest against the rise in tuition fees and proposed government cuts. Three hours into the occupation, about 55 students are currently in the ACCR and they plan to hold it until certain demands are met. Security is not allowing students to enter the room and the situation is under review.

The organisers of the occupation and the march that preceded it are Warwick Against the Cuts, a coalition of different societies and student groups. Those marching consisted of Warwick students, lecturers, UCU representatives, sixth form pupils and Sabbatical Officers.

The march started in the Piazza at 12:00pm, where students congregated before starting to march towards University House. Once there students were met with barriers and security guards. Some students clashed briefly with security at the barriers.

Students then returned to the Piazza before storming the Arts Centre and occupying the ACCR at 1:00pm. Around 70 students took the room and despite some issues with Security, they moved into the room peacefully.

“Free education is a right, but we have to fight for it,” explained Aidan Barlow, from the Socialist Worker Student Society.

As Security is still not letting students into the ACCR, nor letting students leave to use the toilet, some students have made a makeshift toilet in a pan. They have now delivered the pan to Security, who emptied and washed it before giving it back to the protestors.

Students in occupation have issued a list of demands to the University and plan to stay in the ACCR until said demands are met.

In a statement emailed to reporters, the organisers said: “We are occupying the Arts Centre Conference Room in protest against the cuts to higher education and tuition fees rises proposed by the Government in response to the Browne Review. While we occupy this space we are creating a space of truly free and democratic education where we will run workshops, talks and other educational events – education that has nothing to do with profit and the market and everything to do with learning and sharing together. We are not intellectual capital! We reject the marketisation of our education system and the transfer of the cost of a public service onto students, University staff and employees.”

They are demanding that:

– The University oppose the Government’s plans for restructuring education

– The Vice Chancellor use his influence within the Russell Group to oppose the plans

– The University’s budgets and budget plans be transparent and open

– People be allowed to leave and reenter the ACCR to access food, water and sanitation facilities

– The University clarify the position of the Security team guarding the room

– The protestors have immunity from punishment by University authorities

– The most senior authority figure on campus meet them to discuss their demands

– The University allow individual departments the right to protest the changes.

Kate Cox, a University spokesperson, speaking earlier, declined to comment on the demands, saying “we’re going to see how it pans out.” We are awaiting further comment from the University now that the demands are published.

Commenting on the occupation, Cox said: “Whilst it is inconvenient, we recognise the students’ right to demonstrate in a peaceful democratic way. We fully understand the reasoning behind the demonstration. The University is facing 80 percent cuts to its teaching funding. Without there being any other option from government at the moment as to how we’d [bridge] that [funding] gap, raising tuiton fees is the only option at the moment. Nothing’s decided at the moment – we’re still waiting to hear more from government.”

The University and protestors have both denied the BBC’s reports of skirmishes between Security and students. “It’s not true. We’re trying to clarify with them [the BBC] where they’ve got that information,” said Cox.

The University have put up signs which claim the Arts Centre is under maintenance.

Students who spoke to our reporters were supportive of the occupation.

“This is necessary,” said third year English student Cameron McArdle. It shows that “people are angry.” He admits that while he is opposed to the rise in fees, it is a complicated issue.

Dr Sean Neill of the UCU shared his fears that as arts and social science departments face severe cuts there will be a “risk of supply of teachers being cut off,” as these are subjects they traditionally pursue.

“We are concerned about the impact [of the cuts], not just on students but lecturers as well,” added Jonathan Davis of the UCU.

Despite planning to hold the room indefinitely the organisers are adamant that lectures should not be disrupted and promise not to stop classes from continuing as normal.

Michael Adesite, a second year PAIS student who was not involved in the march, said he felt the march would not have a significant impact but that it is good students are making their voices heard.

This march and occupation mirror what is happening at other university campuses across the country. Protests are also taking place in London, where demonstrators are clashing with riot police.

Kenilworth School reportedly saw 200 pupils walk out of their classes this morning. One pupil from Kenilworth who joined the march explained, “we don’t see why we should have to pay so much, especially as these politicians got it for free.”

The protestors have set up a blog at http://warwickagainstthecuts.wordpress.com/, where they have posted their demands and updates on the occupation.

_This article was last updated at 15:56 on 24 November 2010. Derek Hatley and Tash Clark contributed reporting._

_For more pictures, visit the Boar flickr feed [here.](http://www.flickr.com/photos/boarnews/)_