RAG torments students for charity

RAG Week is back and bigger than ever this year. The organisers of the infamous annual charity week, the Raising and Giving (RAG) society, once again stretched the boundaries of the creative and dabbled in the barely sane to raise awareness and funds for five local charities selected at the end of the week.

RAG also collaborated with other charitable societies on campus such as UNICEF and Warwick Star (Student Action for Refugees).

“We have never seen such a big turnout,” remarked Nat Whalley, Secretary and Vice-President of Warwick RAG, at the unprecedented volume of RAG volunteers this year. At least 90 students, of whom more than half were freshers, signed up. The organisers predict that the amount of support that has been shown will help them accomplish their goal of raising at least £4,000, the bar set by last year’s achievements.

One of the most prominent events of the year, RAG week dominated student life last week. Working with the Union and RaveSoc, RAG brought students several events, such as the UV RAG Rave – the only event from which all proceeds from tickets as well were donated directly to the fundraiser. Other events which contributed to the fundraising, however, included the RAG Pop, OMG and, for the first time, Skool Dayz. One of its more notorious events, the Scavenger Hunt, involved creating a silent sport this year – the most extreme of which involved books from the library instead of balls.

“RAG week was a lot of fun, as always”, Leo Bøe, Warwick’s Student Welfare Officer, commented. “I have no doubt that the society has managed to raise a phenomenal amount of money for charity. It really impressed … in terms of drive, commitment, creativity, and the ability to create a real vibe around campus.”

In the past it has been tradition to auction off the Sabbatical Officers at the SU club night on Friday. This year, RAG decided to go one step ahead and ‘gnome’ the officer who managed to raise the least amount of money for RAG Week. No officer was gnomed this year; however, “we expect that the person who raised the least amount of money will feel the consequences” said Bøe. ‘Gnoming’ involves being covered in flour, water and beans and occasionally (in the case of ‘king gnoming’) being wrapped to a tree with cling film and covered with shaving foam.

The RAG delivery service also provided a way to prank one’s friends. From pints and chocolates to mattresses stolen from beds as far as Leamington Spa, RAG members would deliver anything that they could carry to students or professors for a nominal fee. RAG week also introduced the purchase of services, including lap dances from RAG volunteers dressed as elephants, turtles, rabbits and dolphins. In addition to this, serenades and performances took place, with one dolphin being coerced by his professor to sing and dance for his entire lecture group.

Megan Fortune, a member of the RAG exec, described one delivery experience when she had to deliver a holdall containing a fresher in a pink tutu: “This year [RAG has] become a verb. We have heard people [talking about how] their friends got ‘ragged’.”

RAG continue to support and fundraise for charities throughout the year. For more information, the exec can be reached via the SU website.