Movember will be fan-tache-tic

Students at Warwick are being encouraged to sport moustaches in aid of men’s health this month.

Movember is a worldwide initiative to raise awareness of men’s health by challenging men to grow a moustache for 30 days from November 1st. The moustache is intended to represent the “ribbon” for men’s health to help raise money and awareness for cancers that affect men.

The idea came about back in 2003 in Melbourne, Australia in an attempt to “bring the moustache back as a bit of a joke and do something for men’s health” as stated on their website. The Mo Bros, as they describe themselves, were inspired by what women had achieved for breast cancer and so set out to create a global men’s health movement. The movement has expanded since then to countries including the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa.

The UK’s Movember campaign aims to raise money for The Prostate Cancer Charity, the UK’s leading charity in that field.

To get involved in this year’s campaign, Movember’s fourth, you can register at movember.com, beginning the month clean shaven. Students can sign up as an individual or a team as part of a hall, course or society.

The campaign kicked off at the “Big Shave-off” in the Student’s Union on Monday 1st November.