Coventry commemorates 70 years since Blitz

Coventry recently commemorated the 70th anniversary of the blitz during World War II that devastated the city. Several special public events were organised in conjunction with local authorities and institutions.

Events were held throughout the week between Monday 8 November and Remembrance Sunday, the highlights being a tea dance at the Guild Hall for blitz survivors, an open air service in the ruins of St. Michael’s Cathedral and a special performance of Benjamin Britten’s “War Requiem” in Coventry Cathedral.

Local and national media focused on Coventry, culminating on the 14th with the commemoration of the most intense night of bombing, which saw the old cathedral fall. The day was marked with organised parades and numerous special services, the most moving being the Evening of Reflection within the ruins of St. Michael’s. It is hoped the events will raise awareness amongst younger generation Coventrians and those not familiar with the story of Coventry’s destruction and subsequent rebirth.

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire took a prominent role in proceedings, broadcasting a “70 stories for 70 years” series over the week and organizing the Monday Tea Dance at St. Mary’s Guild Hall, which featured Warwick University’s Big Band society.

“The event was much larger than expected”, said Chris Yapp, President of the Big Band. “The response of the war survivors was amazing because the hall was full…they had come to dance and have a good time”. The band performed live on BBC Midlands Today, so unsurprisingly he said “It was definitely the most high-profile gig we’ve done, from a media perspective”. The day was capped by a personal message from Dame Vera Lynn to the guests, most of whom lived and worked through the Blitz. “That meant a lot to them – they are still very fond of her”, Chris added.

Warwick University chose not to hold any special commemorative events of its own but a mention was made during the Remembrance Day service held in the piazza on Thursday and a collaborative service between the Catholic and Anglican Churches, to remember the accidental victims of war, was held on Sunday.

The two resident chaplains, Father Prem Fernando and Reverend Alastair Kirk, were sceptical about the impact of the week’s events on the student consciousness. “The societies and the union should have been more proactive”, said Rev. Kirk. “It is not really for the university to make students more aware, it is up to them in many respects.”

“It is interesting to see the demographics at our events this week” added Father Fernando, “It is mostly white British – it perhaps suggests British Nationalism which foreign students cannot relate to”.

The story of the Coventry Blitz is one largely overlooked in recent British history and somewhat neglected amongst the general carnage of the Second World War but it is regarded by local historians as a modern tragedy. During the Second World War Coventry changed from a centre of British motoring and pioneering technology to a munitions hub, possibly at the request of wartime prime minister Winston Churchill. The high-profile nature of the city was also its downfall because it became the most significant strategic target, apart from London, for the German Luftwaffe.

The most intense bombardment, which occurred on the night of 14 November, saw the most bombs shed on one location ever in British history. The result was not just the destruction of the old cathedral, but most of the city’s prized medieval centre and approximately 60 percent of residential properties. Around 600 people were killed, more than in any one night of bombing during the Battle of Britain, and 1,000 injured.

The city struggled to regain prestige during the post-war period but the 1960’s saw an era of rapid reconstruction, including the completion of the new cathedral in 1962, the host for many of last week’s commemorative events. The Remembrance Sunday recital of Benjamin Britten’s ‘War Requiem’ was significant because it was the first time the piece was played in the cathedral it was composed for. The cathedral will continue throughout November to hold commemorative exhibitions. A movie showing the Indian contribution to the British war effort can be seen till the end of November and a permanent exhibition recreating the Blitz experience is in the cathedral crypt.