Candlelight vigil for American teenage suicides

Warwick students have been paying their respects to the American teenagers who took their own lives following homophobic abuse. Taking place on 20th October, the vigil saw candles being lit to represent those who had taken their lives.

“The LGBTUA [Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Unidentified and Asexual Society] and Campaigns Officer, Izzy John, spoke along with a few others,” said Welfare Officer, Leo Boe. “We lit candles to represent the number of people who could be at risk of this everyday in every country. Six candles were put to the side to signify the six boys who had committed suicide. The event was filled with emotion and hope that change had started there on the Piazza.”

“It is crucial that we as a generation stand up and acknowledge that the silent majority must do something to fight against the idea that bullying is just part of growing up,” Leo added.

Warwick’s LGBTUA society are constantly campaigning against homophobic behaviour. According to their campaign page on the SU website, “Even on a progressive and accessible campus like Warwick, homophobia, transphobia and bigotry towards queer people are still possible. We work to raise awareness of why people take offence and how people can better communicate.”

This latest string of suicides prompted US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton to address gay teenagers in America directly. “Take heart, and have hope, and please remember that your life is valuable, and that you are not alone,” Clinton said in her YouTube message, posted 19th October.

That Friday, President Obama followed suit. “I don’t know what it’s like to be picked on for being gay. But I do know what it’s like to grow up feeling that sometimes you don’t belong,” said Obama. “With time you’re going to see that your differences are a source of pride and a source of strength.”

Tyler Clementi of Rutgers University in New Jersey, was the fifth gay teen suicide within three weeks. Clementi jumped off the George Washington Bridge after his roommate allegedly posted video on the Internet of him having sex with a man. Two students have now been charged with illegally filming the 18-year-old.

The latest death came the Saturday after the vigil. 26-year-old gay youth activist Joseph Jefferson committed suicide after reportedly posting on Facebook: “I could not bear the burden of living as a gay man of color in a world grown cold and hateful towards those of us who live and love differently than the so-called ’social mainstream.’”