Warwick receives its first Marshall Scholarship student

Joshua Bennett has been awarded the first Warwick Marshall Scholarship at the University of Warwick.

The English and African Studies post-graduate student from the University of Pennsylvania has been awarded a one year scholarship to study for an MA in Theatre and Performance Studies at Warwick this year.

The Marshall Scholarship is awarded yearly by the UK government, and pays for a select few students in the United States to study in the UK. The scholarship includes flights to and from America, a £827 per month maintenance sum, tuition fees, plus additional claimable expenses. Students can study at any university in the UK, but most choose Oxford, Cambridge or LSE. Bennett is the first to study at Warwick.

Joshua, a professional performance poet from New York, has recited his work at Barack Obama’s evening of music and poetry at the White House and published his first poetry book Jesus Riding Shotgun in 2009.

Upon receiving the award, Joshua said: “This was an incredible blessing. It is an honour that I accept with a grateful heart, and a mind set on making the most out of this experience.”

“Everyone I’ve met so far has been rather welcoming, and I can truly say that I couldn’t have asked for a better introduction. I love my department, and can’t wait to get more involved in the everyday happenings of the University.”

University of Warwick Vice Chancellor Professor Nigel Thrift said: “I am pleased to welcome the Warwick Marshall scholar for 2010-11 to the University. I hope Joshua thoroughly enjoys his time here and we are delighted to have him as part of the Warwick community.”