OMG! WTF? New club nights at the SU

Warwick Student Union has recently announced a radical shake-up of the entertainment events at the SU. Staff at the Union spent a long time over the summer considering how to improve on and introduce new events to the SU’s programme.

Staff felt that some of the old Union brands were old and tired and needed to be revamped in line with the new layout of the SU, which utilises extra space. In a controversial move, the traditional cheap night at the union, Top B, has been replaced by Manic Mondays. This event will now only take place in the Copper Rooms 1 but still offers some drinks promotions. However, at the beginning and end of term, Massive Mondays will take place, a larger event which occupies all the Copper Rooms and Terrace Bar.

A new night, called ‘OMG’ will take place on Friday nights, and feature the entire Union building, including the Copper Rooms, Rouge, the Atrium and the Terrace Bar.

Entertainment Operations Manager Rob Chamberlain states that “OMG will cater to all musical tastes. There will be guest performers, commercial and chart stuff, indie, funk and hip-hop and costume performers interacting with the crowd. The music policy is more flexible, however OMG is not just about the music; the social atmosphere is paramount.”

Last year, staff experienced problems with the venue and it seems that the ents programme suffered. Chamberlain added: “Some of the existing student nights did not translate to the new space. We don’t have a crystal ball but I honestly believe this term is a million times different to any of the previous years. This is a fresh start for a new building.”

Student reaction to the changes appears to have been largely positive. Second-year history student Emilia Halton-Hernandez said: “I think it’s good that the Union is going a bit more mainstream as they really need to fill it up. Because the nights have been changing so much, they haven’t been able to establish themselves properly. I think the new venue will prove to be popular.”

While one fresher commented that “the events seem to be aimed at people who like loud parties and drinking”, another stated that “there is a really good line-up with a lot of variety”.

Sabbatical officer for Democracy and Communications Chris Luck explained the rationale behind the changes. “Logistically it made sense to have the biggest night of the Union at the end of the week.

“The popularity of Top B had been in decline for some years due to various factors. OMG is now the premier night at Warwick SU.” He emphasised: “This is the best Freshers ever, with an incredible line-up and the best goodie bags of all time.” With the first Freshers’ Welcome Party sold out, it is hoped that the following events and entertainment programme will prove similarly popular.