Boar breakfast: A freshers’ fortnight feast

It’s the morning after the night before and you’re wandering around the kitchen aimlessly, looking for something to satisfy that post-alcohol hunger. We’ve all experienced that ravenous feeling, and yet it can often be difficult to muster the energy to make anything worthwhile. What we need is something easy, tasty and pre-prepared and this, my friends, is exactly that. What’s great about this recipe is that you prepare it all the night before, whack it in the fridge and just put it straight in the oven the next morning (or afternoon). You can also play around with the ingredients. I’ve used mushrooms, tomatoes and mozzarella in mine but you can easily substitute these for something else – maybe a BLT or cheddar and onion. Whatever your choice, this recipe will cure that hangover in no time.

**Ingredients** (serves 2)
125g mushrooms, sliced
6-8 cherry tomatoes
3 thick slices of bread – Tesco’s stay fresh loaf is even cheaper at the moment at just 65p!
Ball of mozzarella (go for the Value range – it’s just as tasty for half the price)
2 eggs
125ml milk (about half a glass)
Olive oil
Butter/Spread
Approximate cost per serving: £1.78 – a measly price for a clear head.

**Method**
1. Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan and fry the mushrooms until browned. Meanwhile, spread each slice of bread with butter, cut in half and use a little more oil or butter to grease a deep oven-proof dish.
2. Slice the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella. Now for the fun bit; just layer the bread with the mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese alternately. After each slice of bread, squash the sandwich down a little to make it compact.
3. Beat the eggs together with a fork and add the milk, season with a little salt and pepper and simply pour over the layered bread into the dish. Don’t worry if there’s a little pool of the mixture at the bottom – this will be soaked up overnight.
4. Cover the dish with Clingfilm, squash down once more and put it in the fridge overnight – though if you really can’t wait that long, four hours should be enough, but overnight is definitely best!
5. The next morning, simply light the oven (if you can find it) to gas mark 6 (200°C / 400°F), allow it to heat up for ten minutes and place the dish inside for about 40 minutes. Remember to remove the cling film; melted plastic is not a good flavour. If the top layer begins to brown quickly, just cover with a lid or some foil until the cooking time’s up.

Et voila. Student: 1, hangover: 0.